first timer - green egg- day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justtima, May 20, 2012.

1. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    So I got a green egg from a farm in Long Island. I made an incubator with a styrofoam cooler. I placed a bulb and thermometer inside and water. The temp has been from 98 to 101. I turned it 3 to 4 times a day till day 18. Today is day 21 and nothing so far. I candled it on day 16 and it had a large air sac and the egg was dark. My nerves are shot. Help. [​IMG]

2. OMG-- know what you mean.... I think that you have to hang-in-there..... do you hear any peeping? Good luck with your baby.... You may need to visit your feed store to get some company for just 1-chick though.

Welcome to the BYC forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Does your incubator have vent holes? Also if you had some drops in your temperture, that could explain it still not hatching. I have faith, come on chickie break out.

4. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    I don't hear any peeping. I'm losing my mind. And my temp keeps changing. I've been checking every 30 mins like a mad woman! [​IMG] Thanks for the welcome!

5. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    It has lots of vent holes. I'm going bonkers. [​IMG]

6. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    I read that some people do a float test at day 23ish. Should I do that? I also read some people candle their chickie. If chickie doesn't come [​IMG] out I think I'm going to drive back out to the farm and get 3 green eggs and actually buy an incubator.

7. read the other day that someone had a hatch at day 23-- so maybe you will get it yet. Otherwise OF COURSE you should get more eggs and try again --- :O) Post back to celebrate your hatch..... fingers crossed for your chick....

8. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    OMG OMG[​IMG] its hatching!!! today is day 24!!!! COME ON CHICKIE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I remember the first time I hatched an egg. It was so exciting! Congratulations - and enjoy the show!

10. justtima

justtima In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    New York
    Thank you! How long did it take? I feel like I'm gonna end up siting up all night watching it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: