1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer here

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kardar2, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Coop is under construction and the first weekend in March we should be getting our chicks. Question:
    When bring them home should put them right in their coop? Or keep them in the house for a while?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Depends on the age. If they are day olds you either want to have a brooder in the house so you can check on them often and change heat settings as needed or you can put a brooder in the coop. I like to start chicks off in the house, it makes it easier for me to deal with any problems when I can see them at a glance. If they are fully feathered you want to put them straight into the coop. If you plan on free ranging instead of having a pen you will want to lock them in the coop for a few days so they can imprint on it and come back to it at dusk.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Depends on the age.

If they are under 8 weeks old and not fully feathered, you will need to brood them in a specially heated place. (A brooder) A brooder can be a box, tote, or other structure that is well protected from the weather, predators, etc. Usually a basement or garage is best. The brooder should be well bedded with pine shavings or hay, and proper feed and water should be supplied.

If they are fully feathered, they can for sure go outside to the coop. Just remember to lock them up for the first week or two so they will make your coop a "home" for them.

4. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    I am getting the chicks from our feed store.so I'm not sure how old they will be. I am going to free range them, but I am going to make a temporary pen to go out in with me supervising them. That way they are familiar with the surroundings.

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    If you are getting them from the feed store, they will be a few days old and a brooder will be necessary. Here are some links to a few resources:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wolfscouts-chicken-brooder <---- BYC member brooder

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gist80.html

[​IMG]

A picture of mine. It is a black livestock water tub, and has a heat lamp hung over it. It's warm, and has proper food and water. Do some research and you'll have a good deal of luck! Hope this helps...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by