1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer incubation hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by meghanraes, Jan 1, 2015.

1. meghanraes

meghanraes New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    So I have 5 eggs in lil giant incubator & it's on day 21 today 1 has hatched the others have not even started rocking and show 0 signs movement. I'm going to wait another 2 days before I call it. Can I open bar or to candle make sure they are alive? Also I was out of town and babysitter let temp get up to 108! For a little while scared she cooked them

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If none are pipped you can candle. Normally I'd say don't worry about candling till they are a couple days late, but if the temp got that high, and it stayed there for any length of time, the rest might not make it. Are you counting day one starting 24 hours after set?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. meghanraes

meghanraes New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks amy Lynn I did pull one out to candle quickly and it was moving around thank goodness! I have everything regulated now and going to wait a few days perhaps like you said it may be a day off or they are just needing a bit more time. I will continue to wait I just wasn't sure if I could candle since they" say not to open the bator after lockdown. Thanks again! Also another question......my second chicken had quit a bit of bloody discharge in egg and dark colored the first did not. Is this normal?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's ideal not to open the bator after lockdown so you don't affect the humidity. If you do not have any external pips there's less chance in hurting them as long as it's quick and you can keep the humidity up. There are a lot of people that are dead set against opening the bator for any reason until the end of the hatch. I'm not one of those people, I don't open excessively after lock down, but if I feel it is neccessary I will.
    I have had some eggs that have more bloodyish membranes than others. My chickens have come out ok so I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure the scientific reasoning, I would think it would have to do with the chicks hatching before the veining has completly receeded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by