First timer looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DunnoWhatImDoin, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DunnoWhatImDoin

DunnoWhatImDoin Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Hi everybody,

I've never had geese before but decided to get some this year. Their main job will be to eat the grass in my back garden / orchard. It's roughly 50m x 35m, maybe a little bigger.

I was thinking of getting two geese and a gander but have no idea about breeds. I'd like some eggs from them but I heard they only lay a dozen or so eggs a year is that right? I'd like a friendlier breed that won't attack us or the chickens, preferably one that isn't wonderful at flying, although I could clip their wings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @DunnoWhatImDoin Welcome to BYC

I can only vouch for the 2 breeds I have Embden gander and Toulouse goose. I cannot recommend an Embden gander for any one with children can't say what a female Embden would be like since I have never had one. I wouldn't rec an Embden gander for anyone who doesn't have an assertive personality either. Especially during mating season. I love my Embden but he is a handful. Most ganders will be protective of their mates during breeding season brooding and raising goslings so expect around 6 months or so of a personality different than the rest of the year. Females are pretty laid back except during raising their goslings. This is all normal behavior by the way both parents raise and care and protect their goslings.

I have chickens, and ducks added to my mix and all get along well in their half acre fenced in property but my geese have their own house.

I think Sebastopol and American are considered pretty laid back but many others can tell you about their breeds pros and cons.
    My Toulouse laid over 40 eggs her first breeding and laying season after that year each year there after it was less but still alot.
    She will be 5 this coming April and hasn't laid yet so not sure how many she'll lay for this season.

Here is some info on the different breeds.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1082517/geese-breed-focus-project Hopefully others will chime in too

@jchny2000

@RURU

3. DunnoWhatImDoin

Mar 9, 2017
    Thanks a million, there's a lot of info in that link. I'll have a look at what's available locally and can look them up there and make my decision. I'll have to read more on Chinese geese, they look to be good egg layers.

The chickens give me all the eggs I need though so it's for the grass and the novelty really.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Goose egg omelets are so good.

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I would recommend Chinese. They are calmer, less assertive and lay around 45 eggs or so a year. If you make your gander/geese a pet, spend a little time with them every day, they should be fine. Embden and Buff both can be more aggressive in nature. I have some embden hens laying and they are a terror right now!

1 person likes this.
  6. DunnoWhatImDoin

Mar 9, 2017
    I spend a little time chatting to the chickens every evening after feeding them, I'll do the same with geese. Chinese it is, provided I can find some.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by