First timer, need help! When do I save them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewMamaFarmer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. NewMamaFarmer

NewMamaFarmer New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    I am incubating for the first time. I have around 30 chicken eggs in the incubator, and today is day 22, so they were due yesterday. Last night at 8:30PM we heard the chirping of one of the eggs, and I'm assuming this means at least 1 of them has internally pipped. I did see movement of egg #20. But as of 3:44 PM on day 22 there is still NO sign of external pipping on any of the eggs. I have the humidity cranked up, but I do know my eggs tend to have a harder shell and membrane than store-bought eggs, and I'm wondering if it is too tough for them. I finally opened it up quickly and candled a few, a couple are showing movement, a couple are not (but I didn't try too long because I wanted to get them back in there fast). I have been waiting SO long for this day, and I don't want them to suffocate inside their eggs. Should I poke a tiny hole in the shell by the air sack and leave them alone? How do you know when they've internally pipped?

Thanks!

2. brownfoxfarm

brownfoxfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Rural NW Illinois
    If you can hear peeping, that means they have pipped in the egg - if they weren't breathing air in there you wouldn't get any sound. I can't tell you when you should intervene, but I can tell you that I have helped eggs (chicken & goose) hatch that have pipped internally & not through the shell. I've had about an 80-85% success with those I've helped.

If it's been more than a few hours of peeping (amount of time will depend on you) & no external pipping, I tap the egg to see if I can still hear the peeping, I then candle to see where the air cell is. Next I take a pair of tweezers, sterilized with rubbing alcohol, and press carefully but firmly over the air cell. I then pick very small pieces of the shell away to expose the membrane and the beak/bill. Finally I carefully tear the pip hole in the membrane a little to give the baby room to move. Now they need to go back in an incubator (preferably one not filled with other eggs who are needing stability) & have some time to work for themselves.

Check back in 45 minutes or so. If they are struggling, but making no progress, help a little more, same as before. If the membrane bleeds you've gone too far, too fast & you need to give the baby more time. Don't panic, but don't keep going. Back in the incubator and more time, the more they try for themselves the stronger they will be.

Good Luck!!

3. brownfoxfarm

brownfoxfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Rural NW Illinois
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I am not going to put more humidity on my eggs (this is day 15) until I see the air cell has shrunk. day 18 then I know they are ready for humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by