1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewbyDuckhatch, May 22, 2016.

1. NewbyDuckhatch

NewbyDuckhatch New Egg

May 17, 2016
    My duck eggs are on day 27. I realized at about day 23 that my humidity was too high throughout, so I lowered it until yesterday. I took a peek candling and most have internally pipped since day 25 and still no external pip. Should I make a small air hole? I'm worried they might suffocate since they have been in there for over 24 hrs and no break.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    LOWERED IT?? what was it at? What is it at now? YES, MAKE THEM A SAFE HOLE. What kind of Ducks???

4. NewbyDuckhatch

NewbyDuckhatch New Egg

May 17, 2016
    It was at 75-80% throughout so I lowered to 60-65% and the air cells grew just enough. I made them a tiny safe hole, hopefully they will be okay. I really thought ducks had to have the high humidity but that's only near the end...yikes. I've learned a lot so far

5. NewbyDuckhatch

NewbyDuckhatch New Egg

May 17, 2016
    Thanks Amiga I'll check it out. I feel stupid about the humidity thing, live and learn I guess...hopefully they will be ok

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Candle them, but it's very important that you candle the smaller end, If you see ANY empty space or yellow spacing, your ducks are sticky. it's best to have the HIGH humidity if that is the case, by lowering it it will cause that gooy stuff to dry up and turn into a yellow ball, the yellow ball will sufficate them.

7. NewbyDuckhatch

NewbyDuckhatch New Egg

May 17, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Okay, so I candled them and I barely see any space. Where there is space it is orangey yellow like it's been throughout the whole process, it looks like the yolk sac I guess. More of them are pipped further in the air cell (I hear tapping or clicking) and heard a peep !:)
    I still see no breaks in the shells.
    One of the eggs I've Been watching that was clearly dead I opened up to look. The duck had a misshaped head and crooked beak. Weird. But the inner membrane was clear and easy to take off. The yolk was not very big, I think it started to absorb but seemed all healthy to me.
    I'm just stumped as to why they haven't broken through yet but it's my first time, maybe I'm just being impatient. I'm just very worried I would like at least a couple ducks!!!(15 eggs left) edit: okay this one is a little spacey...ugh

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Misshapped head or crooked beak could be a number of things, One genetics, two not enough turning.

So they have internally pipped? If so give them 24 to 48 hours if still no progress, then I would make them a safe hole. They only have enough oxygen in that air cell for 24 to 48 hours, so a safe hole is to help them continue to breath while they continue to make process.

If I was you I would pick up each egg and Feel it, sometimes the crack is upside down. Meaning, the crack is towards the bottom of the bator instead of on top for your viewing.

That egg looks a tab bit sticky to me. I wouldn't be surprise if they all were late. If that's the case the safe hole is going to be absolutely necessary..

What Kind of ducks??

9. NewbyDuckhatch

NewbyDuckhatch New Egg

May 17, 2016
    they are rouens and Peking ducks :)
    Yesterday morning there was a pop in one of the eggs and in the afternoon he started making the hole bigger and now it's 11 hours later and he's still sitting there with his beak out. Meanwhile 7-8 other eggs have externally pipped. I am now on day 29 and worried about the first guy not doing anymore.
    I have to leave for work this morning and wondering if I need to help out a bit before I go....this is so nerve wracking lol I am scared I'll come home and find him in the same position stuck and dead :(

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

11 hours isn't enough time. I would hang tight for a little longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by