1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Timer?!? Need Info!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollymh, Feb 8, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I have some rescued chick eggs, I estimate that they were 8-10 days old on the date I rescued them; we are on day 11 of incubation which I estimate would put them around day 19-21… I have noticed that they are starting to wiggle and move about in the incubator, this started a day ago. They haven't pipped yet, but I was wondering if the wiggling is a sign of hatching, and about how long it will take them to pip since they are doing this little egg dance?! I'm so ready for them to hatch; I can't stand it anymore [​IMG] So any info on signs to look for would be so greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I can't help you with the hatching, but I'm sure others will be along shortly to help.
    [​IMG] from Washington
    Imp

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Mine began wiggling two days before hatch. But that dosnt mean yours wont hatch anytime now!!! Its a good sign in my opinion. Any sign of life is great. Do you hear any little peeps when you put your head down by the bator? Mine did just before pip!!! It sounds like you have everything undercontrol. They are probably just getting into position ti pip. They need to get in the right position!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the moving around is a sign that they are about pip, and it can take up to 48 hours, DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR FOR ANY REASON! what is your humitdy at? and temp? if one hatches it can live in bator for up to 72 hours without food or water. william

5. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    My temp is at 99.5 and my humidity 66%, yesterday they were wiggling like crazy, and today the wiggling has slowed a bit but they are still moving around.

6. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll be able to hear them cheep before they pip...[​IMG]

7. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:
    No peeping yet, which is so disheartning, I'm ready for them to be here lol!!! I just hope they dont hatch late tonight while I'm sleeping!

8. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I think I am confused. Did you rescue them from a nest? Were they already being set on? If not, then you count from the day you started incubating. [​IMG]

9. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:
    The hen was setting on the nest by an old Jeep that was being used as a parts jeep, she had been there roughly a week when the owners of the Jeep moved it and crushed almost all of the eggs. I took the 2 eggs that were not crushed after an entire day of the hen not setting. I candled them and saw the little chicks still alive, so I put them in the incubator. This was 11 days ago, and I could tell by the size of the chicks when I candled them the day I rescued them that they were around 8-10 days old. lol Sorry there's such a long explanation... Anyhow, since I wasn't 100% on the gestation of the embryos I don't really know when to expect pipping! I hope it's soon, I look like a dork with my face pressed against my incubator watching them wiggle, looking for a pip lol

10. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i see your humidty is at 66%, has it been that high all the time or have you just brung it up today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by