First Timer, Need some SERIOUS help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCord6, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Okay, next wednesday should be the right time to schedule lockdown but my question is... What in the world do I need to do the lockdown correctly?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I was told to make sure there is sponges in there full of water as well as something to squeeze water into it from time to time without having to open the incubator. Also need to get something to monitor the humidity and the heat.

Im going shopping real soon for everything so please, someone give me a whole shopping list so I can be sure I have everything? It would be a big life saver. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Im concerned also about TOO much Humidity. I live in Florida and the humidity level is 90% lately.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You need a hygrometer now!!!! Even a cheap little analog one from a pet store will work fine. You should have already been monitoring humidity.

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Before u set eggs u should have had a hygrometer and be sure to calibrated!!! Takes 12hrs to do that. I'm in the middle of my hatch am on lockdown day 19th. I have pips n eggs rolling. So I will try to keep checking with u.

4. Geez, Im so new at this. I been candling them and they seem to be fine but yeah, now I know that i need to get that hygrometer tomorrow. Am going to have to tell hubby.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My first time hatching I had a 50 year old bator with a light bulb. I still got some chicks.

The high Florida humidity is probably helping you.

6. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    To calibrate hygrometer....1/2 cup Salt...1/4 water...ziplock bag to fit both...stir mixture well place cup in ziplock bag place meter also in bag next to the cup...seal. Let sit 12hrs at the end of that it should read 75% if not to the number u see add or subtract the difference to total 75%. That tells u how off ur meter is. So when u use it u will add r subtr. Each time to get 75% to get a correct reading.

7. Quote:The bator I use is at least 18 years old, I think, with no light/lamp, it's has wires that heat it up and it shuts off when it gets too hot. I noticed during the day, the light stays off (heat is off) and it turns back on during the night. I keep the bator in my kitchen which is the hottest place in the house and VERY humid. I hope that helps. Found a hygrometer/thermometer at Petsmart.com for $12.99
    Going to ask hubby to pick it up on his way home tmw.

8. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    No, go to walmart, they are only 6.50....hardware dept. they are kept where you have the outdoor thermos...for lawn garden, we found ours in hardware...dont forget to calibrate it, think I told you how already....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Stay calm, don't stress ! I'm in Alabama, our humidity is kinda high also. My biggest problem this summer with my bators was to high humidity. I like to do the dry hatch method so I was really worried. However it all worked out fine. I have many new darlings to show for it. So just take it easy & hope for the best. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by