First Timer needs advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by busterduck, Nov 2, 2009.

1. busterduck

busterduck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I just got my eggs shipped. Am I suppose to let these settle at room temp before putting them in the bator?

2. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    yes - Place them large end up and let them settle to room temp for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. good luck!

3. busterduck

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Quote:Cool, will do. Thanks. One more question, I can get my temp either to 98 or 100 I can't seem to get 99 nor 99.5. Which would you recommend - - 98 or 100?

Thanks again

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Do you have a still air or a fan? Still airs are normally run at 100-102F anyway. I have all still airs so easy answer for me.

I don't leave my eggs sit 24hours unless they arrive cooler than room temp. Then I'll let them heat up first. Otherwise I might leave the turner off for the first day but I go ahead and put them in the bator. No one has yet to convince me of what is gained by having them sit on the counter instead of sit in the incubator so long as they aren't in need of warming up first.

5. busterduck

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Quote:I have a Brinsea Oct 20 with a fan. I just can't get it dialed down to anything other than 98 or 100. Which would you do?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If its stable I would go with 100

7. busterduck

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Quote:Then 100 it is. What is the best reliable hydrometer? Mine seems off. I can't seem to get my humidity up beyond 35. It is more when the fan and heat are not on. When I turn the fan and heat on, the reading is much lower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by