First timer!! New to BYC..1st hen broody!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Emmetts Dairy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Emmetts Dairy

Emmetts Dairy New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have a hen that went broody two days ago...gave her water and feed...sooo...now what??? I understand its 21 days and they'll be cracking. So its cold here in NH and I am concerned...I know I can heat them...but when? What bulbs... Can I move her??? Will they be okay hatched or should I move and heat her too before they come. SO many questions...??? HELP!! [​IMG]

'

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi and welcome Where is your mama and eggs at now? I just keep my girls in a dog crate inside the coop Others put inside garage.Mama hen will do all the wrk and should keep them warm

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Hens have been hatching out chicks without our human intervention for centuries. A mama bird know exactly what to do to keep her babies safe and warm. Now, you need to make sure the broody is eating and drinking. Some leave the nest for food and water and others need to have it stuffed right in front of them.

Another word to the wise: If you pick her p to take her to some food, do it quickly and RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. They projectile poop from not pooping for so long and it is STINKY!

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    [​IMG] ; and I think you've already been shared some good suggestions from a cackling hen with experience [​IMG] .

5. Emmetts Dairy

Emmetts Dairy New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    New Hampshire
    She is in one of the nest in the coop and I did put food and water in for her. I have no idea how many eggs are under her either or whos they are. That should be interesting. I have a few differant kinds of birds. I did not want to disturb her too much without getting information first.

So she wont poop til shes done??? Oh boy!! My concern is the cold. Its cold in NH now...and Im certain she can handle this..but becuase of the cold temps...Im not sure if I should move her to a separate area...and heat it up a day or so before they are due..cuz again I mean its cold here...the coop is draft free and very dry..and we dont start heating them till it gets below 30 here...

6. debilorrah

Quote:Go mark the eggs and check under her daily. Other hens will lay behind her and push hers out of the way and then nothing will ever hatch.

7. Emmetts Dairy

Emmetts Dairy New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I will..but she has'nt moved in two days...had to feed and water her at the nest.

8. debilorrah

Quote:Sounds about right. You do need to mark those eggs though.

9. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    every mama is different mine came out about every 3 days and did a BIG OL STINKY broody poop Ewwwwww scratched around for ten min or so and right back to her nest If you can I would get her out of the nest box and yes mark the eggs asap as debiraymond posted Good luck

10. Layla1223

Layla1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    I have my first broody hen too. I think I might buy some hatching eggs this weekend to put under her. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by