First Timer - Panicking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itgns, Aug 28, 2013.

1. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    I just ordered 1 male Dominique chick, 2 female Dominiques, 1 female Light Brahma and 1 female New Hampshire. They're going to arrive Sept 10-12. I have a dog kennel that we'll be modifying to accommodate them once they're old enough to live outside. Until then, I know they have to be in a box with a lamp and everything. I guess I just kind of feel like I'm winging it even though I've been reading up for hours on chicken forums and even a few of my friends who've raised chickens are offering to help.
    I just don't want to get them and then totally not know what to do.

2. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Definitely know the feeling. I think it's totally normal. I went into ful blown panic when the post office called to say they were on their way! I didn't sleep for the first three nights. But you'll get through it. And they are so worth the initial panic!!!! Just post your questions. People on here are so awesome!!!!!

3. kcobbs

kcobbs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    this is totally me, :/:rolleyes:my baby chicks will be here next Wednesday and I'm already right now testing out the temperature to make sure I know what I'm doing. we are thinking about putting their babies in the basement only because we have two cats and a four year old and I do not want them traumatized I was wondering how often do I need to check on the babies?

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    LOL - Not sure how often you NEED to check but those first few days I got NOTHING done! [​IMG]

5. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    I ordered to have them vaccinated. Was that a good idea? Oh man, I'm freaking out. I just want to do everything right. I really don't want to lose one. Especially if it's the rooster. Does everyone usually lose around one of their chicks? It kind of seemed that way when I was reading all the reviews. I got mine from Meyer.
    If there is five of them, how big do ya'll think the box has to be to accommodate them until they can go outside? I've read that some people put theirs in bigger boxes, but they have like, ten. I'm kind of struggling to apply what everyone else seems to have done to my small little flock. Also, is it a bad idea to keep them in my room if I'm going to be checking on them often, then?

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I vote for vaccination. Seems like a good idea to me after reading about the possibility of losing your whole flock if one gets infected

I ordered 4 chicks and lost one. Then replaced with two more form a relatively local breeder. That's Chicken math (4-1+2) So now have 5 (3 weeks old). Here's a picture of what I'm using for the brooder. They are in our garage. I think they'll be able to stay in this brooder until they are big enough to go outside. Fingers crossed! It's 4 panels of what we used for our girls as an outdoor playpen. We taped up poster board on the lower half to shield from drafts. Vinyl table cloth underneath. Heat lamp suspended from boards. We have the heat lamp on a dimmer which has helped manage the temp. Now that they are bigger and jumping and flying I have screens on top whenever we're not there with them.

[​IMG]

7. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Oh - and my personal preference would not to have my chicks in the house. I clean the brooder completely and they still get kinda stinky. [​IMG]

8. Props4Chicks

Props4Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    South Florida
    My Coop
    I'm just a beginner and I am learning as I go too so take all of this as newbie advice. I did put mine in my room. For two reasons the dog and the cat plus I just wanted to be able to check on them when the urge hit me. In the beginning they were so little that they didn't smell bad and I kept their pine shavings, water and feed clean. As soon as they got old enough to fly out of the pen (it had 3 ft. cardboard sides) they went out on the porch for a couple of weeks and then moved out permanently to the coop.

I started with 5 one day old chicks. One passed away within 2 days but the other four did great after I learned from a friend who knows about birds that the little ones are really susceptible to stress. My boys and I were so excited about having these little babies with us that the first couple of days we were always picking them up and handling them. More than we needed to. Handling them too much the first week or so is too much stress and some can't handle it especially after a trip cross country with the postman. Thanks to the advice from my friend at work after the one died I only picked them up to check for poopy butt and to clean the pen. My kids weren't allowed to touch them at all without permission, usually to help me clean the pen. Once they got a few weeks old and got used to the place we started gradually handling them more and more.

Now I have 4 healthy hens that follow me around the yard being very nosy and wanting to know everything that I am doing. They are friendly (sometimes too friendly! Nothing like having a chicken peck your butt when your busy weeding or peck at your toes cause they like your toe ring!) and comical and I just got my first eggs this week.

I was also very nervous about the whole thing in the beginning (still am) but there is lots of great advice on here and great people to help with your questions. I'm sure you'll do fine and it is totally worth all the worry.

9. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    Thanks for all the info and advice. Do the chicks show up all in one box? I mean, will I be able to tell them all apart? Like, if one of them dies and I'd like to have it replaced, will I know which one? Even if it's one of the Dominiques and I want to know if it's the boy or one of the girls?

I hear that I should call the Post Office the week they should arrive. Are they not being delivered to my home?

Sorry for all the questions. I thought I would have this explained in my order confirmation or something but there's nothing?

10. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Usually it is best to pick them up at the post office. Tell the person at the post office that you expect to receive a Live Chick order on (what ever date) Leave your phone number with them and ask them to call you as soon as the chicks arrive. They will be happy for you to come collect them. It is not likely that the post office will miss an order of chicks since they will be peeping. Go pick them up asap. Be ready to get them out of the box dip their beaks into the water and chick feed so that they know where water and food are located. I always use "Chick Saver electrolytes" in the chick water - they come in a 3 pack - available at your feed store. The electrolytes help overcome the stress of shipping. They also contain vitamins which gets them off to a good start. Be sure to have all your feed feeders and waterers set up and ready to go the day your order should arrive. Being well prepared will ease YOUR stress level.
    Good luck with your chicks. I am sure that you will do fine. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by