1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer, please help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ridersutton, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ridersutton

Ridersutton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    I just hatched my first two chicks. One is doing just fine, is active, and everything that everything I have read says it should be. However, the other one, which hatched a few hours before hand is not seeming to do as well as the other chick. He doesn't like to move as much, and is almost always laying down. I am beginning to think he is having issues with his ability to relieve himself as he has not yet and the other chick has a couple times. He has not yet eaten anything as he just hatched yesterday, though he did drink a little bit of water, and I have checked for pasting and he seems to not have that issue. Is there something I am over looking or something I need to do?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Try getting some electrolytes to put in their water, that might help...if you don't have those, use 1 tbsp sugar per quart of water and give him that. I hope this helps! Sometimes, they just need a little boost to get back the energy that they lost in hatching!

3. Ridersutton

Ridersutton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    I will try that. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by