First timer - processed today! (pics)

plucky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Arkansas
Today my 10 Cornish X that DH and I have referred to as "Team Meatie" went to the big Coop In the Sky, and their carcasses are now chilling in the fridge. This was my first time processing chickens, and I worried all week if I'd be able to handle it. Shooting a deer from a distance is one thing...looking your "prey" in the eye before dispatching is another. However, it wasn't that bad...really no more traumatic than gutting a fish. Instead of "chickening out" and having DH do the deed, I did it myself...as well as the plucking and butchering. (DH had a pretty pressing project of his own fixing a well issue, or he'd have been more help). I'm exhausted, but so satisfied and proud!!! I guess I'm patting myself on the back a bit...processing 10 chickens is pretty small potatos. But I can't wait to taste one!!!
big_smile.png

meatchickens001.jpg

meatchickens005.jpg

sounds like you had a busy day.butchering 10 meat birds.just think how good they are gonna taste.

You did GOOD!! They really are not that bad, are they?? I t is the thought of it, and anticipation that is the worst.
Your birds looked really handsome, is that your tractor, or just a holding pen?

Nancy

Thanks all! I'm roasting one for supper tonight...along with last year's green beans, mashed potatos, and cornbread. MMMMMM!!!
clap.gif

greentree - that's my tractor. I originally built it as a "rabbit tractor" to let the lops out during the day to get their feet on grass and have some room to kick up their heels. It worked great for the chickens until the last two weeks or so - I moved it 2-3x a day. Since I'll likely be doing this again, I'm probably going to build a bigger tractor...possibly one with wheels for easier moving.

big_smile.png
You did awesome!

How old did you let them get?
DO you have a plucker?
Do you have a scalder?

I am planning on getting some wothon a few weeks. I'm not sure I will be as brave as you though, might cop out and have hubby do it.

SBF

Stonebridge - thanks! I did not have a plucker, except my own two hands. It was kind of tedious at first, but once I got the hang of it...correct scalding time, technique, etc...it went pretty quick. If we were doing LOTS of birds at a time I can see where a plucker would be handy, but not justified for only 10 birds. Also, I've seen videos of some of them, and it seems to me like they'd bruise up the meat. I did have some pinfeathers left, though I've read the Cornish X has lots fewer than the average chicken...not having a reference, I don't know. Those were kind of annoying, but we forgot to pick up some fuel for the propane torch to burn them off, and I didn't know any other way besides rubbing them off...which you have to be careful not to rub off the skin. However, after they'd cooled for a couple hours in the cooler, I noticed that they must've come loose in the water because the bodies were mostly clean of pinfeathers when I packed them for the freezer.

The "scalder" consisted of a big pot borrowed from grandma (possibly could have been used to scald chickens before), set up over an existing fire pit. We used the pretty extravagant set-up of two concrete blocks with a grate that had come off something at sometime. Also a nice work table of two sawhorses with a plywood top, covered with a plastic tablecloth.

Definately feels good to be somewhat self-sufficient, and I'm very glad I'm not the only one going down this road of providing food for ourselves. We've gotten way to complacent as a society, as everyone on this forum knows...and I'm sure the topic has been beat to death.

But what got me thinking about it is of my best friends expressed disgust and said it was "sad" that I offed my meat chickens (I still have 12 eggers)...yet she's more than happy to go to the store and buy a factory-raised fryer, knowing full well what kind of a life it had - because I told her. She said, "I don't need that visual." It's that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality that drives me nuts...I don't get the hypocricy.
he.gif

BRAVO!!!! I hope to join your ranks sometime in the future. Looking forward to getting in there and getting the job done when it comes time
big_smile.png
Looks like you'll have some good eats!

Back
Top Bottom