First timer setting eggs tomorrow, due 5/19 want to hatch with me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm setting our classroom's eggs tomorrow! Bator is all set up, and ready to go. Anyone want to hatch with me? I'm candling on day 10, and then on day 18!

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Sure I will. ill be putting in showgirl/silkie eggs tomorow too.

3. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Shoot! My first batch goes in tomorrow.. I'll be lagging behind. But I'll play along!

4. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I have some gamefowl due on May 18th, it's my hubby's birthday and since he loves chicks I hope they hatch lol!!! Good luck w/ yours!!! [​IMG]

5. hobbyfarmer

hobbyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Kentucky
    I'm putting some in tomorrow so I'm a few days behind but I'll probably need to take notes anyway! I'll have to keep an eye on your progress. [​IMG]

6. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    Well, mine went in on the 29th, b/c the mom who was bringing eggs was a day late! So they'll hatch on the 19th.

I think I am having problems with my turner, though. It seemed to be working fine while I was getting the bator set, but now my eggs don't seem to be moving. I never see them in a different postion. I'm worried they're no good now. I've tried marking the eggs, but none of my marks so far have really been all that helpful in seeing whether they're moving or not. [​IMG]
    I could take them out and turn them by hand, but since I'm a teacher, and these eggs are at school, I don't really have time to drive up to work three times a day over the weekend. What I need it way to tell if the turner is working, and if not, where can I get a new one, STAT. (Bear in mind I live in a big city). I could turn the eggs by hand today, and put them in a new turner tomorrow.
    All my equipment was used and donated to my school, so I dont know what kind of turner I have, but its not LG's. It is one that tilts side to side.

I'm gonna make a new gen post with this question and see if anyone can help out there too.

7. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ok, so I put my first set of eggs in the incubator May 1st... then approximately 2 hours later we had a big storm and the power was out for about an hour and a half. OF COURSE!!!

I am now pretending that nothing happened and turning them regularly and trying to keep the temps/humidity steady.

Second set went in Saturday the 2nd.

I can hardly wait to get to the candling stage to see if anyone is developing! Since these eggs went through the mail I'm not sure what to expect... and it's not 7 days until Friday. That's ~like~ 4 more days!!! How do you people stand it?????

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I put mine in on the 28th. so mine are due on the 19th. [​IMG]

9. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    ARRRGGGG! We had a big storm over the weekend, and I came back and saw that my memory on my temp read 114!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I didn't bump that knob, for a week since I set it.

I have no idea how long it was, and the bator was showing real cool, real cool when I got back. I've been trying to get it up all day, and I've finally resorted to bumping the knob a smidge. I hope it doesnt spike again. It was running so well for a week!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what happened, but I think all my eggs are dead. The turner is now at least working for sure, I can see the eggs move, but I think it wasn't working for a while. I cant candle yet, its only day 5, and these are dark shelled eggs. I'm leaving them in there, and we'll see on day 10 when I candle.

SO MANY PROBLEMS! And I was working so hard to prevent them. ARG!!!! [​IMG] If they're all dead, I'll have to wait next year. My poor kiddos.

10. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I have had it happen up to 109 F for a day and they were ok...now my quail eggs were fried but standard chickens ones were fine.

I have some due on the 21st. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by