First Timer (: Super Uber excited with LOTS of questions in need of LOTS of advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UpstateNY845, Feb 25, 2013.

1. So I've grown up around farms and animals all my life, and I'm starting out my own hobby farm with wonderful chickens. [​IMG]
    I'm a single mom with two boys so the country life is a no-brainer for me. I plan on ordering from a hatchery (efowl perhaps?) very interested in Buff Orps Barred Rocks RIR and Red Sex Links.. 23 hens and 2 roos.. I want dual purpose for eggs and meat (obviously). A man I've known my entire 20 years who's owned and operated a small farm of his own insists I wait 2 YEARS before slaughter? Seems lengthy to me... any questions, comments, advice gladly accepted!! (in the past I've "binged" all my answers and relied on these forums for advice - it's about time I made a profile )

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Efowl doesn't have the best reviews on here. Some have had great experiences while others seemed to have terrible ones. 2 years is a much longer wait than anyone in my area waits.

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]
    I have ordered from McMurray and Ideal before and have had good luck. Good luck with your search!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, UpstateNY845, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I agree with Kevin565 - efowl is kind of a poultry clearing house - they get their birds from hatcheries just like you would order from. I have also purchased from MucMurray with success. You can check out the Breeders & Hatcheries link below. Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    by 2 yrs he probably means the hens since the laying will start slowing down. Anyways congrats and good luck. [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Thanks so much! I can't wait to get started

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Layers of dual-purpose breeds lay well usually for 2-3 years, so maybe that was what he had in mind - any rooster kept that long is going to be good only for the stewpot, as they will be very tough. My dual-purpose cockerels were ready to process from 20-26 weeks of age, depending on the breed. Meat birds would be much sooner.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by