First timer, Tractor coop for 4

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jokeloma, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jokeloma

jokeloma New Egg

Feb 26, 2011
    Hello my name is John my family and I live in Tulsa, Ok. I had always wanted chickens so with a little reading and a great resource like BYC I thought I would give it a go. The coop I built is 4' x 8' x 5' tall the chickens aren't allowed out (2 small Dogs). The roost area is 2' x 4' and elevated with a removable tray lined with .5 x .5 hardware cloth for cleaning. The roost is also hinged at the top for access. I recently added a 1' x 2' nest box off the back and we are waitng for our first egg. I have room for improvement in the water and feed area but we are using a long plastic feeder and 2 gallon galvinized waterer.

The coop sits directly on the ground with wire cloth underneath for protection. I have not added wheels yet and I use two long 3" metal poles to roll it and protect the sides from burrowers.The roost area has a door that I open and close from the outside with a pulley and spring system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have four Ameraucana's with the intenetion of getting two more birds in the future, Unless I decide the area is to small for two more. I look forward to everyone's comments and input. I guess my first question would be do I need to do more than cover all open areas with plastic for the winter? Oklahoma typically only gets down to single digits with highs in the teens most winter.

Thanks for Looking

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I am trying not to be envious of your great "tractor"! Nice job! [​IMG]

3. jokeloma

jokeloma New Egg

Feb 26, 2011
    Thank you, I tried to use lots of info before I built it. I think I will add a moveable run next spring.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by