First-timer. What is this?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lmlbarnette, May 5, 2017.

1. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    Red bulbous growth on chick faces. Trying to get pictures for you all. No idea how old they are, what breed, or what sex.

2. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    [​IMG]

3. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    [​IMG]

4. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    [​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  6. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    I've had them for about 10 days, and they haven't been near anything in that time that could bite them. I have no idea where they were or what happened before they found me. I called around, but I really can't afford the $75 vet visit per chick. They have been scratching a lot.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'll ask again - do they have any swelling inside the beaks as well?

Do you have other chickens? If so, you need to keep these quarantined away from your existing flock, just in case it is contagious.

I really don't know - it almost look like a reaction to insect bites, but it could also be a form of Fowl Pox or canker.

@casportpony any ideas?

8. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    I don't want to force their beaks open, but from what I can tell when they're peeping it doesn't look like it's swollen inside. These 3 are the only chickens I have. It's been suggested that they could have a sinus infection. What would that look like and what are other symptoms?

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    When you found them 10days ago, did they look already look like that?

It's possible that it could be respiratory disease, but I have never seen the feet look like that as a symptom. If it were the just the hocks, possibly. The feet and face look like fluid filled pustules

Respiratory disease can present in several different ways, but most have some similar symptoms - coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, watery or pus filled eyes, pus filled facial areas, sounding like they are congested, lethargic, going off food/water.

If all the chicks have similar symptoms taking 1 to the vet would hopefully give you a diagnosis and they can prescribe the correct medication.

Here's a list of common poultry diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

10. lmlbarnette

lmlbarnette New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    I took these the day after I found them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by