First timer with baby chicks, mixing different breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sassychicken32, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sassychicken32

Sassychicken32 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I was raising with reds and white giants when I was young but parents took care of that. This will be my first time raising my own. I would like to get 3-4 different laying breeds, but would like to be able to hatch out my own eggs in the spring time next year. Will I need to get a rooster for each breed, or 1 or 2 from specific breeds that are well known or very likely to "sit" on their eggs? want to make sure they get fertilized. Would i be better off with all same breed or can i mix and match and still be able to get fertilized eggs and what roosters will i need to get from which breed? I have been researching as much information as I can making sure all my chicks will be healthy and well taken care of when they arrive, I'm ordering about 25 of them and going for the best layers and sitters as possible. Can anyone help with choosing the best, I have my list, and will be purchasing all products and items that i will need for them for months to come, just want the best for my lil chicks.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Many people have mixed flocks and mate the birds getting many mixed colored mutts. With some mixes you just never know what will result in color pattern on chicks.

You'll only need one rooster.

If you plan on not incubating and having the birds perpetuate the flock all on their own then you will want to get a few broody type hens. Many will push you towards a Silkie but I stay away from them. bantam size, ornamental bird that's only good for one thing- going broody and raising chicks. There are other broody breeds that are much better layers out there and if you plan to eat your cull birds over the years standard size birds will at least provide enough meat for the effort of cleaning. Though I don't know if your looking for bantam size or standard chickens.

3. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Henderson's Chicken Chart is a good place to start looking for what breeds you may like. You can check on broodiness of a breed here. It of course does not guaranty a bird will go broody or how often. But if you plan on at least two birds that have broody tendency you'll likely get one to do so. Some birds seem to never stop going broody which if left unchecked will give you next to no eggs and a booming population.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Araucana is a good choice, blue eggs, good layer and good brooder. Brahma another...

4. Sassychicken32

Sassychicken32 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    So basically it depends on what hens i choose, not necessarily the rooster? I planned on getting at least 25 chicks with 2 roosters, i have what breeds (3-4 of them) of hens i would like and which ones are going to be best layers and sitters, just wasn't sure if it mattered if I had to get same breed rooster in order for the eggs to be properly fertilized. I have chosen the breeds for not only laying and sitting, but also on temperament, and cold hardiness. I like to handle my animals as much as possible and want to make sure they can withstand the cold where I live, and chose the breeds on whether or not they may be good layers in the winter months. I'm not one that cares if I end up with mutts, I just want my chickens to be healthy and happy, I don't ever plan on selling any of them for showing or otherwise, they will remain here always, so mutts to me don't matter, but at the same time, if i end up with mutts, will they carry on the good laying and sitting traits as their parents? I'm trying to get some ideas that will help me make my final decision before I order my first batch of cuteness ever!! lol That's alot of money to put into something so I want to make it right. By the way, thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it very much.

5. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, they will carry on good and bad traits of the parents. So you can improve your flock over generations by culling things you don't want. Ending with broody but not overly so, fast maturing, early egg laying, good egg laying, laying in cold months, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by