First timer with Ducks

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
my father in law has ducks, and has asked me to incubate a few of the eggs.

I incubate chicks all season long....I need to learn what to do with Duck eggs
hu.gif
..........ANY INFO greatly appreciated

hugs.gif

OK...so first off.... They are way cuter than chicks- so make sure you draw up a legal contract with your FIL about the delivery of the hatched ducklings so that you cant keep them for yourself
lau.gif
gig.gif

But seriously... They take longer to hacth - 4 weeks for ducks other than muscovies who take 5 weeks.

Temp is the same- but humidity needs to be higher- so you might want to plan things so you can do the ducklings on their own depending on your set up. About 55% during the main incubation period- and then 80 % for lockdown.

Duck heaps do much better laying in their sides - so a roll turning incubator or hand turning is best for them.

There is a start for you- but there is a thread on here just started recently - I think it was also made into a sticky.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462667

ok, i'm going to read the thread you gave...

I was hoping to do ducks with my chicks, but if the humidity has to be that much higher it will NOT work
sad.png

I might have to just do the couple little duck eggs first. I only have about 3.

But, I have 30 chicken eggs I can lay at a time.

and i wish i could keep the ducks...my FIL wants them bc he has a huge pond..I have no water near me. They'd be better off with him
wink.png
But, I'm sure as I do with my chickies...i'll fall in love right off the bat
droolin.gif

THANKS for the info
hugs.gif

IMO the only way to incubate chick and duck eggs is to have a separate hatcher for the ducks. Also, I hand turn all my duck eggs. They don't seem to do well in auto turners. Good luck
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom