First timer with feeding chick questions.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Stedman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Stedman

Stedman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    My first batch of chicks are coming in a few weeks. I ordered the grogel and vitapak. Should I use both of them and for how long ?

2. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I THINK those items are for getting them to you safely. Have some chick starter crumbles available before you receive the chicks. Hope this helps....

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    From my understanding the gro gel should be given as soon as you get them home. It gives them a nutrition and hydration boost. That and some bright green dye.
    You should also have quality chick starter available right away.

The vitapak is an additive for the water. I have read that a bit of molasses is a good alternative.

I have never used either. I use a quarter teaspoon of good ole Apple Cider Vinegar in a quart of water and a high quality chick starter.

4. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    My chicks are a week and a half old. What about deworming or any other things like that that should be done? Is there anything I should do for them and at what age?

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I do not think they are old enough/exposed enough to have worms at this age.

I only worm hens above a year old and only if there are signs like worms in the droppings or weight loss.

I think the best we can do is provide them with good food, clean water and bedding and a warm place to be.

The feed stores here are having high losses too. Not sure if it is from a rough trip or from genetic issues.

6. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    Ok thank you!
    I'm a first timer and I don't want to miss any crucial steps in raising healthy chickens.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I feed my Chicks medicated starter and do not introduce any other types of snacks or scratch till three weeks old....I feed the medicated starter till they are 8 weeks and then put them on Grower.....I only give my Birds a treat or scratch once a week with a couple of hours of free range when 8 weeks and older....

Best wishes......:)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by