First timer with sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baby28, Sep 16, 2016.

1. baby28

baby28 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    I have a 5 month old isobrown that is lethargic, won't walk, has liquid dripping from nose, and is breathing slowly. I have no clue what to do. She didn't lay an egg this morning and will not eat or drink. I have her separated right now.

2. cityfarmer88

cityfarmer88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016

It's sounds like coccidiosis I'm also dealing with this with a 3 week old chick I just posted trying to get help. I'm not as experienced so hopefully someone else will answer u. I'm using Corid right now it's for cows but people use it for chickens the lady put the instructions on my form where i ask for help I'm doing 1/2 teaspoon in a quart and one drop of non diluted corid from a syringe to the sick chick for 3 days so far she said to treat for 5 days u can also look at my page if u wAnt hope this helps goodluck

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. baby28

baby28 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    I just bought some corid. She won't drink so going to try giving her a drop by syringe. Thanks!

4. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

I've also been dipping her beck in the water and tilt her head back a little them mine just kinda swallow I don't do too much I don't wanna drown her. Also I want to mention I am a beginner too at this I have baby chicks and older ones that just turn 5 months this is my First time with chickens I've just been learning as I go. I hope u get some more opinions on what's going on im still waiting to see some improvement I started the corid two days ago today is the third day I hope our chickens pull through

5. baby28

baby28 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    She died. :( She had a seizure then was gone. So sad. Thanks for the advice. Best of luck with your chick.

6. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

Aww that's so sad I'm sorry to hear that. It's really hard losing them no matter the age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by