1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chadman, May 12, 2016.

1. Chadman

Chadman New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Kansas
    I bought some chick's for the first time. So I need some help starting off. This is what I got. Heat lamp, 18% chick feed, gallon self water, round self feeder. Right now they are in a dog crate. But in the evenings I put them in a wooden framed box with chicken wire around it so they can run around and peck in the grass.
    A farmer at the store said I should put mothers apple cider vinegar in their water to help them out. So what else do I need right now. Thanks for your help

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Get medicated chick feed.Use probioics in their water and electrolytes.Apple cider vinegar is usually only use for bad pasty cases and deworming them.And if you do get apple cider vinegar,it needs to be All Natural.Any of the pasturized kind should not be used.

Ocassional garlic chopped up and given into their water is also a great booster and is good for keeping mites,lice,avian resporitory flu's/disease away, and for a good immune system.

Garlic should only be given every ither 3 weeks maybe and onlt a few chopped slices in the water (6 7 pieces).

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. Chadman

Chadman New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Kansas
    OK thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by