First-Timer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlecollier, Apr 4, 2018.

1. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Hello!

After 5+ years of contemplating, planning and preparing for ducklings, we are finally ready to attempt our first hatch! I’m absolutely thrilled.

I’ve been lurking around BYC for some time and love the community and support it offers.

Friends of ours have a pair of Ancona ducks and have generously offered us eggs. In our city we are allowed up to three ducks so I plan on attempting with four eggs seeing as I doubt we will have anywhere near 100% success.

Our incubator and hygrometer arrive today and we will be getting them set up and settled over the next few days with a goal of setting on Friday (and ultimately around a Friday hatch so we can have the weekend to imprint!)

Will post photos and updates along the way! Cross your fingers and toes for us, we will need all the luck we can get! :love

XOXO,
    C.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:welcome

Keep us updated on all the exciting happenings !!

3. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you! It’s going to get exciting when I get home from work today!

:wee

4. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    How exciting! I would love ducks but the lake is quite a jaunt from the house. I'll just live vicariously through the duck people here.
    Fingers and toes are crossed for you!

5. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you! We are planning a pond for them to enjoy once it’s warm! Hoping to create a little duckling paradise. :)

6. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Incubator was just delivered! So excited to get home and plug it in! :celebrate

7. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Hmmmm ... Incubator and hygrometer don’t seem to be matching. Which can you trust?

Farmer Connie likes this.
  8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    sSig_welcome4.gif
    049.gif
    big-heart.gif

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

@WVduckchick ?

10. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Incubator has been plugged in for a day now, seems to be more consistent with the temperature read. Depending on which reading I’m trusting, it seems to be right around 99.5F.

As for humidity it was hovering around 40% so I added two pieces of wet sponge (saw that suggestion on a few sites and incubator reviews) and now mysteriously the reading shows 35%

:idunno

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: