First timer

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Pekin747, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    So I given 2 geese they where both supposed to be female and they where supposed to be separate so I could ad them into my 2 different flocks
    I'm still getting to know the breeds about geese
    But one is white (I think it's really a Male)
    And the other is white and a grey brown (looks to be female)
    They r almost fully feathered and I need some advise on how to separate them with the least amount of stress I know its impossible to do it without some but the less stress the better they will be

I've also noticed my white one drops his left wing from time to time it looks broken when he does it but at other times u do.t even see him doing it and he flaps and swims just fine should I be worried or just see if he will recover naturally?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

May I ask why you need to separate them? Do you have other geese around the same ages? Are they Pilgrim? It’s an auto sexed breed? Pictures would be nice. As for the wing sounds like what happens when their flight feathers are coming in and they are full of blood they have to build muscle up to hold the wings so they will drool then hold them normal. Takes a while but the get it worked out eventually. Also there is angel wing that’s when the wing will stick out like a hitch hikers thumb . Doesn’t sound like that is what your dealing with.

Pekin747 and bluemerle like this.
  3. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I need to separate them because I have 2 flocks and need one in each flock because I've some predators and I was hoping they would be a bit extra defense against them plus I wanted to try something new
    I dont know there breed yet but I'm going to try and figure it out
    I'll get pics now for u

4. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Srry they r a bit blurry 20190615_123858.jpg 20190615_123956.jpg 20190615_124000.jpg

5. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    Geese really, really do not do well on their own - and it sounds like your pair is already bonded, and separation will likely be traumatic for them. In a species where widowed geese risk sinking into depression, I personally would not risk it.

Why not run your pair with one flock, and then add another pair for your other flock down the line? Geese are not true guardians in the sense that they can really protect; they are just an vulnerable as chickens or ducks, but they look and sound more intimidating, so having a couple geese as opposed to a single goose as a deterrent makes sense.

ocap, Miss Lydia and Pekin747 like this.
  6. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    But my fear is that others have told me when the goose goes into heat they will kill the chickens then what do I do?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    And I know they dont actually protect but a lot of my predators r likes of the fox who if theres a lot of sound and has a higher chance of running away

8. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    I have no personal experience with keeping geese and chickens together, so someone else can talk to you about that, but I believe that a gander with his own goose will be less likely to harass the chickens than a lone gander with no mate.

Miss Lydia and Pekin747 like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

I have a pair of geese with my chickens and ducks. They are okay together they don’t sleep in the same house as the rest of the flock they have their own house. They are on a little over a half acre during the day. During breeding season my geese are ornery but they have never killed a chicken or a duck my gander hatched here he is 12 yrs old my female was brought in at 4 months she is 7 all that @bluemerle said about them is true they are not live stock guardians.

10. Miss Lydia

Grey an while is a Pomeranian and the white maybe Embden. Very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: