First timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abritton77, Jan 20, 2011.

1. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Well Ive built a cabinet style incubator pretty much the same as what I looked at on here and just ordered me some eggs. I aways wanted an incubator since I was a kid but never got one. Ive got a little boy of my own now and thought it would be a fun project. I am an electrician by trade and do wood work as a hobby so building it wasn't much of a challenge, I just hope the temperature control and consistency is good. Its got 1 rack with an auto turner and 1 to hatch the eggs. Probably will build a hatcher if everything works out. I plan for my boy to enter some of these in the fair this fall.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    [​IMG]

Sending good hatching vibes!

3. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Plugged in my bator last night and am in the process of getting the temperature set point fine tuned today. I had ordered a digital controller from china 2 weeks ago but couldn't wait any longer, I bought a water heater thermostat for the first round. I Located some local eggs this morning and plan to put them in tomorrow. Ill ad the ones I ordered when they come in. I decided to go ahead and build a hatcher so having eggs hatching at different time wont be a problem. I had a wooden box in my shop so all I need is a fan and maybe another thermostat if the china one doesn't come in soon enough.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Good luck on the hatch! and [​IMG]
    Keep us posted!!!

5. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Ive been watching the bator all day and the temp is swinging too much I think. The light goes off at 103 and on at 97. I bought another hygrometer today just to be sure my other is accurate and they both match up pretty good. The new one is an indoor outdoor so I put the outdoor probe in an egg. I just got that done so am not sure how constant that will stay. If the egg stays pretty good is that good enough. The outdoor temp was the only one swinging 6 deg. It is much more responsive than the other 2. Overall I would say that the temp seem's at least consistent from one location to the next on the inside and the humidty was staying from 50% to 55%. Is that about right or maybe just a little high?

6. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Well, I played with it pretty late last night and got up early this morning and messed with it. I moved my thermostat and put in an air deflector and feel like it is ready now. The local guy just called me and said he had my eggs ready. Cant wait to see how she hatches.

7. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    I just put my eggs in and am hoping for the best. The guy I got them from had washed them which I guess I should have asked him not to. I also dropped one in the process of putting them in. Oh well, just wanted to get something to check out my incubator with and will probably give them away if they hatch. Really wanting to hatch something from my own chickens.

8. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Got up this morning and the temp was 102.5 Was hanging about 100 before bed. I adjusted it down a little and now it seems to be from 99-101. Did I cook the eggs or is there hope?

9. abritton77

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Well I just candled a couple of the white eggs and they look like what I see in the pics. Maybe they will hatch.

10. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Good Luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by