first timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waysidedesign, May 20, 2011.

1. waysidedesign

waysidedesign Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Okay....so, I work at a school and got 3 eggs from an Agway for the 1st grade to watch hatch. I have 9 hens at home and will be adding these to my girls eventually (I've done that part before). My question is this.....when I got them May 1st, I brought them right to school and set them up in an incubator that a science teacher had, but I noticed right away that the rollers weren't working....everything else was though. So I turned them myself until we ordered a new incubator. Everything seems fine except that I know that I am supposed to stop turning them by now, and I can't turn it off on the machine and it's still turning them. Will that hurt them? Also, I need to unplug the incubator to bring it home and plug back in when I get there...a total 0f maybe 15 min.... for the weekend because I think they might hatch then. It's Friday....day 21 being tomorrow. Could the turning confuse them? Am I worrying too much? [​IMG]

2. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    The only problem is the turner might hurt the chick but I would leave them alone now if you can't turn them off.

3. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    Thanks for that. How would it hurt them?

4. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    So now I'm at day 23 and no action.....could all 3 be dead or unfertilized?

5. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    The turner movement they can get caught once they hatch. Give another day or so I've had ones late I almost gave up on day 26. Are there any cracks or movement from the eggs? When was the last time you candled?

6. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    I haven't candled them because I was so afraid to take them out of the incubator. NO cracks or peeps yet. The incubator is brand new, so it's not that. The girl I got them from promises me they are fertilized. It is actually day 21 that they have been in the actual incubator. How do you candle yours and should I even touch them right now??

7. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    I put a tissue over the turners so they aren't rolling....haven't been since Friday.[​IMG]

8. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    anybody????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by