First Timer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LunaBella, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LunaBella

LunaBella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    We are picking up 6, 17 week old pullets this Saturday. Coop is ready, shaving, feed, feeders and waterers are being picked up tomorrow. Any adivce for a this family of newbies? We live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, if there is any specific advice for our area, that would also be greatly appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congrats!

I would just say, from trial and error, I learned that it's a good idea to keep the food inside the coop, and the water outside in the run. Also, sand as a base in the run is great! keep the feeders full all the time, and keep a container of crushed oyster shells for the ladies, to promote those nice, strong eggshells.

Also, if you plan on free ranging, keep them all locked up in the coop/run for a solid week before you let them begin to free range.

That's about it!

Good luck!
    Sharon

3. livingwithchicks

livingwithchicks New Egg

Sep 6, 2011
    i've had my girls for 4 weeks now. i love them -- be prepared to fall in love. i kept them in the coop for a week and then only let them out for a few min at time for a week and now i let them out for several hours now. so far i've had to brib them back into the coop with food. they are amazing and i've had 2 eggs so far.[​IMG]

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
  5. LunaBella

LunaBella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Thanks for the info and links!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by