1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by skunknchatter, Dec 24, 2012.

1. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Okay before passing judgment know that I grew up an animal loving city girl. Not a "PETA" type but I don't like killing things. Then I married a country boy and a hunter. So now to present...

Late this summer I hatched 4 chicks in my homemade incubator. 3 of said chicks turned out to be roosters. We already had one rooster (thus being able to hatch eggs) so we didn't need any more. At first I didn't love the idea of eating them. Then they started "flying the coop" and harassing the hens and fighting with each other. So today, yes on Christmas Eve, 2 roosters went the way of the cooking pot. Hubby took one to some relatives and the other met my pressure cooker for a delicious chicken and noodle dinner. I'll update later with what I though of the taste of home grown chicken.

[​IMG]

We skinned them this time but any advice on the best/easiest way to pluck would be appreciated.

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I've never had homegrown chicken, can't wait to hear how it tastes! :)

Edit:
    I don't think I could ever do that, but I am trying to set my mind that it is okay to do that in case someday....... well, we will see what happens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

No judgement here! Some folks cull, or raise for meat, some for eggs and some for pets.. but all are understood!

Sometimes the best solution is just as you did! We have done the same with extra roos, in particular 2 who were rough on the girls and upsetting flock dynamics. We do what we need to for the best of the flock.

We have skinned our roos, made the feather issue a non-issue... but for plucking you can scald the bird in water about 155-160 degrees (someone may correct that temp if it is off a bit) till wing feathers pull free easily. Then you just start at one end and work to the other. Some pin feathers are easier to see than others based on color.

I'm sure there are some threads on here just about the feather issue... and someone more experienced in plucking may have a much easier process than I'm used to.

The taste will depend on how old and how active the birds were and what they ate... but pressure cooker should work great even on an older roo... hope you enjoy it!
    Good luck!

4. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    6 years ago I could have never done it either. However, I told myself, at least I know how this bird was raised and fed. I eat chicken so a chicken has to die either way. This way I can control how it is treated first. Like I said though... took me 6 years to convince myself :)

5. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to sound like that raising chickens for meat is wrong. Maybe a month or more ago I would have said that doing that is so weird and sad. But after reading, I see how much better it is for everyone involved. :)

6. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I think that is great! I am trying to comes with terms of dispatching excess roos as I want to place an order for more chicks. I will have a difficult time carrying it out as well. I also want to get into raising meat birds for my family. There is not anything wrong with it...I will just have a hard time doing it. I wish my husband would dispatch them for me. Lucky you!

7. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Did not sound like that was what you were implying to me. [​IMG]

8. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Mac, we replied at nearly the same time, I think I was still typing mine when you posted yours... so nothing I said was meant to reflect on your post and I sure don't think your post sounded wrong at all! It is not easy at all to do and I can understand why many hesitate or find others to help them out with it.
    Give yourself time, no one else can tell you when, or if, something is right for you to do!

9. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you! I am so used to people being critical to me and is so annoying, so I did not want to turn around and do that myself. :)

10. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Hey. I completely understand. I am the same way ans I'm a country girl. I grew up eating deer etc. I have never killed anything (ok a few bugs and a snake but nothing I ate). We started raising meat birds and I still can't kill one. I can't even dispose of one that dies on its own. But I take mine to the processors and they come back looking like huge store bought birds. And they taste great. I try not to get attached to them. Got Turkeys for the first time and they have funny sweet personalities I am afraid when it comes tome for them to be processed I will have a tough time. I think anyone with a heart has a tough time. But they do taste better than any store bought :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by