First timer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BamaJ80, Mar 22, 2013.

1. BamaJ80

BamaJ80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Just got six babies yesterday. Y'all wish me luck these are the first chickens I've ever owned.[​IMG]

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
  3. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    Two are red pullets two are speckled sussex and two are some type of bantams.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Gotcha. The two red ones you mentioned look like Rhode Island Reds. Those and the Sussex will be about the same size. Keep an eye on those Bantams so they don't get picked on. You may have to separate them because of their size if that starts happening. Reds can be pretty aggressive.

5. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    I was hoping getting them the same age we wouldn't have that issue.I have been keeping a check on that though.So far the bantams seem to be the most aggressive. I mean its not going on constantly by no means but when I noticed any bullying the banties seem to be the bullies lol.

6. RedPonyAcres

RedPonyAcres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Billings, MT
    Congratulations! I got 7 chicks yesterday and it's my first time too.

I didn't know that about Bantams. I got one little Bantie and I've been keeping an eye on her, but she seems to be doing fine so far. At least I hope she's a she. ;)

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    You might be ok with them just keep an eye out. They change a lot as they grow and the pecking order will change too! Reds are far more aggressive, the sussex are a lovely breed I have one and she is just sooooooooo wonderful and was a great mom. Handle them a lot and get them used to you lifting them and that may help reduce aggression.

As for the mini chickens - well only time will tell if they can hold their own - if they can't you will need to seperate them from the bigger girls and simply "get more"! ITs chicken Math something you will get familier with overtime too! lol [​IMG]

Welcome! [​IMG]

Oes

8. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on starting your new flock. Little chicks are the best and great to watch them grow. I agree about the bantam's.. I have RIR's, White rocks and Speckled Sussex. They are all very well behaved but the Sussex is large and powerful. The Bantams may have a tough time if one of yours is "the Boss"!
    Are you new to BYC? If so,[​IMG]

9. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    congrats on starting out. I'm just starting out also we just got home about 30 min ago with our little birds. we got 2 silkies some grey bantam and 7 red breads from ts so who knows what kind it could be. daughter wanted silkie so I got two son picked out another red and wife wanted something different so went with a grey bird lol. the grey is the smallest about half the size of the silks.

10. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    That's where I got mine.My son loves chickens so I scrounged up enough stuff to build a cooop and run and bought us a few.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by