First Timer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Conway Bantams, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Conway Bantams

Conway Bantams New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Conway, WA
    My wife and I recently received a hen and her eight two-week old chicks as a gift. In advance of their arrival, I rebuilt an old coop, which I now think is too small at 3'x4'. The coop is connected to 5'x10' chain link run wrapped with .5" chicken wire.

Inside the coop, I have hung a heat lamp to keep everybody warm at night. We also keep a couple feed trays and waterers inside at all times, as well as some grit.

We feed the chicks "Nature Smart" organic chick starter/grower (20%) and "Nature Smart" organic layer complete (16%) crumbles for the hen. When I wake up in the morning, I spread some of both over the bedding for them.

Aside from them eventually (preferably sooner) needing a larger coop (I'm hoping to build a new coop in an old outbuilding we currently do not use this spring), are we doing things right?

2. Conway Bantams

Conway Bantams New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Conway, WA
    Also, can you help identify some of these chicks?[​IMG]

3. Conway Bantams

Conway Bantams New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Conway, WA
    We leave the heat lamp on from 5AM until 7AM and then again from 4PM until about 10PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by