first timers..are they alive or dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksahoy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    i am a first time incubator and am a little worried that i killed my eggs. i candled them tonight which would be day 6, and all of them have very faint vaining. so i did some research and it seems to me they should be further along.the temp spiked one day to around 105 in the bator..would that kill them? also the humid. has been about 49-53 % is that too high?

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I'm not an expert, but veining is good. Wait and see what happens. I think if they died, you would've seen a blood ring, but I could be wrong. Don't stop yet...give it a little more time.

3. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Faint veining on day 6 would be normal.
    Are these white or brown eggs? Sometimes if the eggs are dark it is hard to see. I try to wait until day 10 to candle and make a judgement - my eggs are pretty dark brown though.
    105 is pretty high but if you're seeing veins that's a good thing. I'd wait a few days and candle again.
    I think your humidity is good. i don't measure my humidity.

4. chicksahoy

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    thanks guys, ill wait and see. i have white brown green nd blue eggs, but none are very dark. [​IMG]

5. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I'll be looking for an update around day 10. [​IMG]

6. chicksahoy

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    UPDATE!! i have candled about 2 times in the past 3or4 days and have seen movement in most of them!! i am taking out the egg turner tonight and hope to have fuzzy buts in about 3 days![​IMG] one question though, if i cant see movement, does tat mean they're dead?

7. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:No, not really. At this far into incubation they don't have much room to move so you might not see any movement.

8. chicksahoy

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    im starting to get a little worried, middle of day 21, no pips, no eggs wiggling around either. candling on day 18 showed them to still be alive i have not opened the lid since. the temp is bout 100.2 and humidity is 60-63% when should i really be concerned?

9. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    First Timer here,
    I dont know what Im doing, and I have been trying to educate myself on this link, by reading everybodys testmonies. Im on day 19 on Chicken eggs only 4 of them, and 25 on Turkey eggs, I have 4 of them.
    I have bought the incubator, and egg turner and have been trying to keep it as close to 99 as possible, and humidity I bought a humagator or what ever its called, to keep test of humidity. its hit and miss, I mist and keep water in coils. Any ways. I have been candeling at day 6 or so and a few more times here and there, and I dont think I see much if anything. Ok, in my four chicken eggs, I think I see movement in one, but maybe not. In my four turkey eggs, the only one that has a bit of a dent in it, seems to be full of something dark. The other three as in the other 3 chicken one also seem clear, so I dont think I got anything, but again I dont know so Im taking care of them just in case.
    So I am hoping for all, but only think I see one and one. Chickens are 2 white and 2 brown. Turkey eggs are kind of medium with specks.
    I took the turner out last night and now I am hand turning the turkeys for a bit more right? Anyways, Im excited but the vibes I get arent good about this first time.[​IMG]

10. chicksahoy

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    BUMP but still no signs of life from the bator:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by