First timer's coop and run re-do

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flycropper, May 1, 2008.

1. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Here are some pics of my first coop and run. I originally had a 4' fence around the run with two rows of electric fence to keep out the critters. I also buried about 18" of chicken mesh around the perimeter of the run and tied it to the bottom of the fence. The coop also has wire mesh buried and tacked to it as a skirting to keep chicks and other animals from getting under the coop. Over head for hawks, I had several wires running from the rafters to the top of the fence making a grid. After a hawk got one of my pullets I took the grid down and then I extended the fence posts another two feet with treated 2x4s and built the run 6' high. After several discussions with folks in the predator thread I opted to use 2 layers of bird netting over the top.

[​IMG]
    The coop is an old tool shed my dad built 20 years ago to temporarily house his tools while he built a barn. I tore the shed down and moved out to my place and re-built it. The back third of it is for chickens. (FYI the little blue bird house has a clutch of chick-a-dees in it.)

[​IMG]
    You can see the bird netting over head. All the pollen pods are stuck in it but they shake out pretty easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside the coop. I am enjoying this so much I may opt to add more chickens next year and just turn the whole shed into a coop.

[​IMG]
    The black blur to the left of the walk board is my Barred Rock taking flight.

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thats a great looking coop an yeard.you did a great job moving an putting the shed back togather.

3. Flycropper

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks. My dad built that (and his barn) out of lumber he and I recycled when I was kid from some houses that were to be demolished. He got permission to take the lumber. Frame, floor joists, wall studs and rafters are all old re-used lumber.

I recycled his recycled lumber.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I love your coop. It's so simple yet nice looking. The girls seem to enjoy it as well.

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That is wonderful - you did a great job!

Where did you get the bird netting?

7. Flycropper

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Chirpy,

Thank you!

I got it at Lowe's back in the nursery section.

It cost a little over $5 a roll (14'x14').

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by