1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timers, raising chickens in Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by djToxicRainbow, Jan 31, 2014.

1. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Hello everyone! My mom told me about this site after I let her know that I bought 5 Quail and 7 chicks. I recently lost my job, so I wanted to have a hobby to keep me busy, and these little birdies have been a great answer to that!

My boyfriend and I are raising them to eat (the Quail's eggs, and the poultry as meat) but since laws are more relaxed down here in Mexico we also have the option to sell the eggs or chickens to local stores when the time is right.

I've included photos of the little guys and gals. They're in a much better (and safer) location than many chickens we see roaming the streets down here.

[​IMG]
    New little babies... One died yesterday, we are guessing from the cold [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A few of the Quail (or Codornices in Spanish)

[​IMG]
    Larger shot of their home

[​IMG]
    Safety first! This keeps my dog from bothering them. The Quails socialize with my dog, because he is extremely friendly and doesn't want to hurt anything. Mostly he sits and stares at them like this: [​IMG]

Well, thats all for now. I'll keep everyone updated. I'm hoping to have a healthy and happy flock!

-Dash and Enrique

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

I like your photos but you will need to put your Quail
    in to a cage or they will fly away [​IMG]

3. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Thanks! Right, should have mentioned that we clipped their wings so that we could allow them to walk around on the patio and in larger areas. I hated doing it, but nobody got hurt, and now I can even let them out of the coop to explore the patio without worrying. My patio is enclosed with walls that are like 20 feet high on all sides [​IMG] <--- Still haven't had this problem though

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright sounds like you know what you are doing [​IMG]

6. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Thanks to this site and helpful users like yourself, I think we have a good idea of how to take care of them!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by