First timers tractor build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mo2872, Feb 16, 2015.

1. mo2872

mo2872 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    With our chicks set to deliver Wednesday the 18th, I figured I better start working on their future home. This is based loosely off the Barn Tractor we saw on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/barn-tractor-mobile-home

We'll be making some modifications that we liked, so, follow along!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is where I am at so far:

[​IMG]

The left hand side of the floor will be hardware cloth, for warmer months, and I'll be coming up with a slide-out removable "tray" for the winter. Thinking some kind of plastic for ease of cleaning, or possibly sheet metal. The roosts will be right above this area, so should make clean up a breeze! (Or at least that is our thought??)

2. dawgfan01

dawgfan01 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Young Harris,GA
    Looks good

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I clicked the links and all I got was photobucket error page does not exist. [​IMG]

4. mo2872

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Hmmmm.......let me see what I can do with those picture links.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    WOW that is some tractor you are building there. Looking very nice indeed. [​IMG]

I do wonder about if the poo will actually drop through the wire floor or if it will be difficult to clean.

Curious how many chickens and what breeds you decided on. We always like to know what chicks folks are getting.
    Will you have to use a farm tractor to move it? I am really liking the construction of it. Nice work!

Keep up posted on your progress.

6. mo2872

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    We have 4 each Buff Orps, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Reds, and 3 each Easter Eggers on the way now! Should be here Friday, so says the tracking. We're excited to give this a go.

We over-ordered, thinking we'd have some casualties, and have a friend lined up to take any off our hands we decide to part with, as 15 is a few too many for the coop.

Wire floor.....we're going to give it a try, and if it ends up being a pain, it won't be hard to put a full floor in there. We shall see! I'm hoping, what does stick to the wire, will be able to be sprayed away.

Yes, will have to pull it with my tractor-tractor. Going to have screw eyes on each side, and a cable to slip over the ball on my tow bar.

BTW, the metal straps above the nest boxes helped me hold things in while getting them attached firmly. Seems I lost my helpers Sunday, as it wasn't quite as nice of a day! Chickens. (see what I did there.....:groaner:.....)

7. mo2872

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Woohooo!!! We have BABIES!!!!! Got the call from the Post Office at 5:40 a.m. this morning.......special delivery! Good thing the wife and I were awake already.....early birds. I was amazed at the size of the box, seemed small. But, once I opened it, and saw them all huddled up, a-ha......had nesting material and a HUGE heating pack underneath, it was quite toasty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    And no casualties? Welcome to BYC by the way [​IMG]

9. mo2872

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Nope, no casualties! That's kind of why we ordered 15(and to get the earlier shipping date....), we figured at least a couple would croak on the way. But, we've got people lined up just in case!

And, if any turn out to be roosters......wellllllll......let's just say we've a hankering for some chicken parmigiana........LOL.

Thanks for the welcome!

10. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Roosters taste good [​IMG] We had one last night...matter of fact. All cuddled up with dumplings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by