First timers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spassehl, Jan 20, 2009.

1. spassehl

spassehl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG] My family and I are getting our first chicks. I am interested in a few different breeds. Dose any one know if it's okay to mix breeds? Also is anyone familiar was home made brooders. I found a link that shows how to make one. If any one has any suggestion please let me know. We're very excited to get started.

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I mix several breeds and they all get along pretty well. By the way [​IMG]! My husband made a very simple brooder, I will find the picture and show it.

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Be sure to get a Polish, they are way sweet and too much fun! [​IMG]

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    And brooding was really easy. I used paper towels for initial bedding. They are easy to clean up and allow the chicks traction, which is important for proper leg development. Good luck, I love my chickens! [​IMG]

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm using a big clear Sterlite storage container for a brooder for 5 chicks at the moment. For my first chicks, I used a metal wash tub, then a TV box when they were bigger! As long as you can get a heat source near, you can use lots of different things as a brooder.

I think it's OK to mix breeds as long as they are somewhat close in age?? I have a RIR, Buff Orp & Black Star that I got together. My newest batch of chicks are EE's a Welsummer and a teeny-tiny little bantam! They all mix just fine (so far!)!

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG]

They mix and match just find, do not get caught up in "making" a brooder just make sure they have adequate confinement (safe), heat, food, water & bedding. You're good to go! [​IMG]

Edit for grammar.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Welcome to the BYC!

I haven't used it yet, but it's ready to go.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

It is 4'Wide x 5'Long x 16"Tall.

Goodluck w/ your chicks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Bi red feather:.......Looking into crystal ball...."I can see very spoiled chickens in your future"

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Nice brooder!! [​IMG]

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I just got my very first chicks last night...2 Silkies (4 days old today). I am also expecting a shipment from Ideal Poultry on Thursday that will contain 2 each of 5 different breeds. I don't expect any problems with them getting along since they're the same age and growing up together.

My brooder is a big plastic storage container (50 gal I think) from Walmart. My husband made a top for it...a simple wood frame (1x2 pieces of wood screwed together) and mesh hardware cloth attached to that. Pine shavings, paper towels, waterer, feeder and heat lamp...voila! Oh, we put the heat lamp on a dimmer switch so we could control the heat without raising and lowering the whole lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by