First timmer!! Guinea's won't leave the coop.

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TYohn, Aug 2, 2010.

1. TYohn

TYohn New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Ok, so this is my first experience with guineas, or any other bird. I have 8 guineas, and left them in the garage for two weeks, then in there own coop for 6 weeks, and now I have opened there door, and they won't even try to get out. This has been going on for 7 days now. We open the door in the morning, and shut it at night. How do I convince them to explore the outside world?? Also, once they do go out, how am I going to get them back in.

Thanks a bunch.
    Travis

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Now is a good time to introduce them to millet. That is a great draw for bringing the birds in at night.

In the mean time give them a chance to realize that its safe, don't shoo them out since that will cause stress and make them more afraid of all that open space. My two month olds are venturing out now but they stay glued to the coop and with any hint of perceived threat they hit the door. No issues with putting them up at night, they go in on their own so far.

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I agree with Robin. My guineas took a long time to leave the coop. They left earlier than yours but I think that was because they were following the chickens. With no other birds I don't know how long it will take. They're real cautious and mine do return to the coop at night. Some people say theirs roost in trees. I think the millet is a good idea.

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Guineas love routine! They "hate" change... They may require a little physical encouragement [​IMG] to get out of the coop... but once outside and tasting the grass and those big nasty bugs,,, no more worries! And yes... they will return to coop (at least to start with) that's their safe haven... [​IMG]

5. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are still in their house contemplating whether they should come out or not. Sometimes it's not until lunchtime unless I go in and shoo them out. I guess they like home A LOT.

6. TYohn

TYohn New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I guess I will try to be patient, but I am not very good at. I have been looking for millet, but nobody around here keeps it, so I guess I will order some online.

Thanks Again

7. TYohn

TYohn New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Well, here is how it went so far. 8 guineas out of coop, 1 finally made it back in, 4 are laying down just outside of the coop, and the rest are so far unaccounted for. Hoping they all make it thru the night.

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Update?

9. TYohn

TYohn New Egg

May 31, 2010
    1 still in coop, 4 outside around coop. 3 unaccounted for. We will see if the other 3 return today.

10. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I am resurrecting an old thread, and it was helpful for me to see that mine are "normal." I started with 6 2- week- old keets, snake killed three and one hung itself on a nail (now covered) inside the house. So the two I have have been through some trauma. One of the living ones I rescued from the fangs of a black snake. I originally hoped to tame them, but after the trauma I have abandoned that idea. I have kept them confined in a house that's (as far as I can tell), snake-proof. Today I opened the door for the first time after keeping them confined for the six weeks, and they won't leave. I made a trail of millet down the walkway outdoors, and set their food outside in sight, hoping it would lure them out. So I just need to wait on them? I have chickens, I wonder if I let the chickens range in the garden some, in front of the guinea house, if they might lure them outside? I guess it's worth a try. I hated to keep them so confined, I never had to do that with my chickens because they weren't wild, they'd let me catch them. And now I hate that they are so terrified of the outside world. I don't like caged animals, that's the whole reason I started raising my own chickens in the first place, to have eggs from "happy hens!" But if I had not caged the guineas they'd all be dead by now, no question about it. Any advice?? Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by