first treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panner123, Apr 21, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have had to keep five chicks inside because they were a little sickly. My grand daughter gave them their first worms today. The little frizzle ran whrn it saw it move, but the others were on them. Once the frizzle realized they were food, it was on them, trying to run the others off. Now it is the grand daughters chore to bring them worms whenever she is here. Not sure she will be able to keep up.

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I haven't given mine worms yet. They think grass is the greatest thing they've ever had.[​IMG]

3. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mine LOVE their mealworms. In fact, they follow me everywhere now and even snap at my fingers thinking their worms.
    They also love yogurt. It's really cute. I hold down a spoon and they just attack it. A couple can't quite figure it out. They just mash their faces into it.
    Also grapes, flat leaf parseley, flax seeds, cherry tomatoes and any seafood they can get their beaks on.

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I can't recall... Do chickens have taste buds? I thought I read that they did. I know it is rare in birds to have a sense of taste, but I thought chickens did. I know hookbills (parrots) do...

They do seem to have definite preferences in food though. I wonder if it's the actual taste or if the texture and color are what get them excited.

Mine loved tables scraps of all sorts. Including fried chicken! lol

5. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    how old are your chicks when you first feed them treats? mine are just eating chick starter and plain water.

6. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I think they do. I gave them celery leaves. They immediately attacked them, then just as fast dropped them.

7. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mine are just about 4 weeks old. I started feeding them snacks about a week ago.
    They definitely seem to like certain things better than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by