First treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Sep 13, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Yesterday I threw a corn cob into the coop for my chicks to play and snack on...they love it, today while digging in the yard I filled my pocket with little worms and there was a mob of chicks fighting to get to me. It was like a little riot in the coop. After making a fresh blackberry cobbler I had a few left over. Keep in mind I have 4 human babies who were all begging for them and dad said good luck, I bet they are for moms chicks. YEP! but the girls wont eat them. I think the girls have had a good day. Any other ideas for yummies? I gave them a little plain yogurt and they just walked through it, took a few pecks and I dont think they liked it

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Watermelon and cantelope are hits here.

I think mine would fight to the death for cooked spaghetti noodles.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    to get mine to eat the yogurt, I mix it with a hard boiled egg yolk

4. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    My only hold back is my flocks age. My youngest chicks are 4/5 days old and my oldest is 6/7 weeks old so Im not sure what is safe and what isnt. Also, I saw you shouldnt give avocado skin and pit but what about the flesh of the retched fruit?

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Yours are quite young yet. It is important that they eat the chick feed more than the treats right now.

I did not start giving treats at all until mine hit 10 weeks.
    Be sure to provide grit of the correct size for their age too. They need it to be able to crush and digest the treats, seeds and most anything they would eat.

As to the avocado [​IMG] .
    I am allergic so it never enters the house here.

6. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    I also held off with the treats until 10 weeks. They went crazy for watermelon, tomatoes, cantelope, mealworms, apples, grapes, and rice & pasta (sparingly)!! Never have they enjoyed berries. Which figures because we have a huge strawberry patch. [​IMG] We did put a roasted chicken carcass and they went nuts for it-----a bit disturbing though!

7. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Thanks for the advise. I wasnt sure and had been asking but never got a "real" answer except what not to give them. No more treats. If they are only getting their chick starter do they need grit?

8. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard they love cabbage. mine won't touch it. [​IMG] [​IMG] used thumb sized tomatos to teach them to use the nipple waters

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Scrambled eggs and boiled eggs are a big hit with any of my chooks. I mainly like to use scrambled/boiled eggs for my babies, but my adults love them too! I have button quail, and their eggs are super tiny (bit size for a chicken), so when I have a few collected I boil them and feed them whole to the chickens...talk about crazy chickens!! [​IMG]

Cheese, bread, cooked rice, cooked beans, just about any kind of veggie are all good chicken treats. Check out the Treat Chart in the stickies fpr more ideas.

~Aspen

10. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I wouldn't give avocado; as far as I know it is toxic to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by