First Trip Outside Pics and (Unrelated) Close Call!

farmerwomanwannabe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Maryland
I took my week old chicks outside for the first time today. It was right around 90 out so they were perfectly comfortable. It was so much fun to watch them romp around and we even fed them some ants. Ill post some pics below, but I have to mention the scare we had tonight! My husband went in to check on the chicks this evening and found all 5 surrounding one chick pecking her. He brushed them away and found she was all wet so he came and got me. When I picked her up her feet were cold, her tummy and chest were damp and she was shivering. Turns out their whole brooder was soaked! I think one of them (likely the wet chick) turned the waterer on its side and let all the water leak out. Im not sure, It was still upright when I found it. I also filled it up more today than I had been, so Im not sure if it just leaked? To be on the safe side I just filled some water back in the tray (didnt fill up the top storage part). They also have a little rabbit waterer that they know how to use should they run out of water in the tray. Anyway, I transferred the chicks into a box with their light while I changed out the wet chips and by the time I moved them back they were all warm and dry. I gave them some yogurt mixed in with feed (which they love) for a little energy boost to fight off any chill they might have gotten. They all seem quite content now. This gave me a quite a scare!

And here are today's pics:
Red Star
96076_rs_copy.jpg

White Plymouth Rock
96076_wpr_2_copy.jpg

Rhode Island Red
96076_rir_copy.jpg

Partridge Plymouth Rock
96076_ppr_copy.jpg

White Leghorn
96076_lh_copy.jpg

Barred Plymouth Rock