First trip outside

egg_tastic

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
NC Foothills
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=485801 <----- When they first came home photos

I took the girls outside for the first time on Tuesday. They were 6 days old. It was quite warm around 86*. I camped out under the cover of some trees as I figured that would be better than in the wide open (hawks). The day before I had introduced a container of sand. The young ladies thoroughly enjoyed being outside, and eating bugs!

10 pullets, 4 black sex-link, 3 golden comets, and 3 barred rocks

Three Golden Comets searching for bugs
84308_dsc06766.jpg

Black sex-link : Isn't she beautiful? She is the only one who has that much brown on her. Plus, she is really docile and loves to be held.
84308_dsc06782.jpg

Golden Comets, Black sex-link, and Barred Rock
84308_dsc06784.jpg

The whole gang
84308_dsc06785.jpg

Black sex-link
84308_dsc06788.jpg

I took mine outside today for the first time. They are 5 weeks and all feathered. Air temp was 55' so I put the heat lamp out there in case they got chilly. They ate and drank but stayed huddled together. They didn't do any exploring, so after about an hour, I gathered them up and put them in the brooder in the garage.

Air temp outside has dropped to 48 but brooder is holding at 68 degrees. Garage is insulated and draft-free. Should I bring them back in to the house?

OK, I chickened out (no pun intended) and brought the garage brooder back into the house. Don't want to risk having the girls get cold.
Maybe spring will come to Michigan in the next month or 2.

Back
Top Bottom