1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First trip to TSC...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by girliegirl940, Apr 23, 2011.

1. girliegirl940

girliegirl940 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn
    Well I took my first trip into TSC today to do a little chick browsing...I have to say I wasn't to impressed! I am new to chickens and don't have any yet that's why I thought I would shop around a little, 2 places near me carry chicks, TSC and a local place called Klems. At TSC they didn't have a very big selection of breeds (don't know if they typically only carry a few types) and I think there was a little chick that was about to die in the brooder...I felt bad...I had to leave...and I don't think I will be buying any chicks there...I think I will try the other place...I was really hoping to buy local...I will have to do some more looking around!!!

Bad news is both places have a 6 chick min (due to state law) and I really only wanted 4 (as that's all my town will let me have!)

The day wasn't a total loss...I did pick up a purple chick feeder!!! [​IMG]

Have a good one!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I got what I wanted from a local feed store. TSC in my town does not have a good selection and puts chicks in galvanized water tubs. The feed store has a multi level brooder set up for chicks and they are much more knowledgable. You might even look on Craigs list or let us know what town/state you live in, maybe a BYC'er lives close to you. Welcome to BYC and chickens. [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I am sorry your first experience at TSC wasn't a pleasant one. That said, they receive boxes and boxes of chicks, from the hatcheries every week, likely hundreds of chicks every week. Not defending them or know of the conditions at your store, but honestly? A wee touch of soberness. Sorry to say, they cannot possibly import and re-sell as many chicks as they do without losses. Lots of them. The owners also take them home and their many, many losses. It happens. Hatcheries ship chicks directly and again, there are many many DOA or shorty there-after. The other store you will visit will also have losses. Hopefully, they present a better environment and you are more pleased. Good luck and best wishes on assembling your new flock.

4. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:I second this! If you want to buy local, buy local. The chicks you get from stores will have been shipped from hatcheries. You should be able to find a local breeder that can offer you what you want, and you're more likely to find quality chicks (that haven't been stressed by shipping) and a good resource. I have enjoyed the knowledge that my breeders have shared with me - I only trust TSC to advise me on feed.
    Also, [​IMG]

5. girliegirl940

girliegirl940 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn
    Quote:yes they were in big tubs at TSC too...not that there is anything wrong with that...and most of the chicks looked happy and were cheeping away!...the local place (which still gets them shipped) seemed a better, they to have multi level brooders and seemed like they get a bigger selection... but they were all sold out of there chicks and excpecting their next delivery monday...

I am in Mass, I would love to be able to get chicks that haven't been shipped....I am hoping to get Americana/Auercana/Easter Eggers...Plus if I was to buy local I might be able to buy just 4.

Now don't get me wrong...I was still in LOVE with the little guys at TSC and can't wait to get some (no matter where I have to get them) [​IMG]

Thanks for the welcome!

6. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:I second this!

I second this again! My most beautiful birds have come from locals I found on craigslist. Also found some good people and made some friendships that way.
    That said, I'm working on my first chick purchases from TSC, and so far I'm pretty happy there too.

7. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I work at our local TSC and i'm referred to in there lovingly by our customers as "the chicken lady." I am in charge this year of the ordering of breeds of chicks for our store. I wanted to have as large a selection as I could for our customers so a few weeks before chick days was to start I started asking customers what breeds of birds they would want to see in this year. There were some breeds I knew I was just not gonna get in so I compromised and got a great selection. We have Guineas,Geese, ducks, turkeys, speckled sussex, cochins (standard and bantam), buckeyes, and of course the regular red production egg layers and cornish x for the people who want butcher chickens. I was even able to order in heritage breed turkeys like the royal palm, bourbon red and the naragansett. Now I am not only an employee but a regular customer so I wanted to see in what I would want as a customer myself. We do get an order every week of at least 350 chicks no matter how many we have left from the week before. The 2 weeks before easter we got 500 in each weak from the regular hatchery. I think chick days this year was a huge success for our store. Now I don't think all TSC stores are the same but ours is an exception I think, lol. [​IMG]

8. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    patti'speeps :

I work at our local TSC and i'm referred to in there lovingly by our customers as "the chicken lady." I am in charge this year of the ordering of breeds of chicks for our store. I wanted to have as large a selection as I could for our customers so a few weeks before chick days was to start I started asking customers what breeds of birds they would want to see in this year. There were some breeds I knew I was just not gonna get in so I compromised and got a great selection. We have Guineas,Geese, ducks, turkeys, speckled sussex, cochins (standard and bantam), buckeyes, and of course the regular red production egg layers and cornish x for the people who want butcher chickens. I was even able to order in heritage breed turkeys like the royal palm, bourbon red and the naragansett. Now I am not only an employee but a regular customer so I wanted to see in what I would want as a customer myself. We do get an order every week of at least 350 chicks no matter how many we have left from the week before. The 2 weeks before easter we got 500 in each weak from the regular hatchery. I think chick days this year was a huge success for our store. Now I don't think all TSC stores are the same but ours is an exception I think, lol. [​IMG]

[​IMG] That's awesome. Can you transfer to my local store?​

9. sammin71

sammin71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Our TSC had chicks in tubs they all seemed happy. However if it wasn't for TSC alot of people in our area wouldn't get chicks just because there is no place else that really sells them. I'm happy with what i bought there. As i get in to chickens a little further down the road i may buy from a hatchery but for now TSC filled my needs.

10. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    You know I'd love to see a chicken days calendar done by each store. Listing the anticipated arrival dates and the breeds and have that ahead of time. Cause I never find what I want when I go in which is rather sporadically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by