First try at incubating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Choco Maran, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I'm trying my hand at hatching some chicks for the first time. I bought them on ebay and are French black copper Marans. There is only 12 eggs. I have the incubator working and has stabilized at 99 degrees and about 60% humidity. They should be here tomorrow and no later than the 24th. I have a Farm Innovators model 4200 self turner from TSC.

My husband thinks we still need to turn them I say no which one of us is right?
    Should I still mark them so I can tell if they are turning?
    Also I believe I read some where you place them in with large end up so they have an air pocket when they start the break out.?

If this works I want to get more Marans and maybe Aruacanas ( I no that's not the right spelling.)

Where is the best place to buy eggs?

Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hello there! You are right, with the autoturner no additional turning is required. You do place them large end up in the turner. However, your humidity is pretty high. 60%+ is what I would use for when you lock them down. With 60% humidity during incubation, you may drown them in the shell. I would watch the air cells to make sure all is progressing correctly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by