First try at this, peafowl due 5-22 and chickens 5-15

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunBaked, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    So it's my first try at incubating eggs and I'm very excited. I decided to post about it here since none of my friends seems to share my fascination with all things fowl. I think they are getting a bit fed up over my constant chatter on the subject [​IMG]. I'm very glad to have found BYC let me tell you.

The incubator I'm using is a small one meant for hatching parrot eggs but I'm hoping it will work okay for these eggs. Since it's small it seems to be easy to regulate the temp and humidity. The eggs I'm hoping to hatch are

5 peafowl eggs- laid by my momma peahen. I'm really hoping they are fertile because the peacock (he has odd coloring I think he's a buff cameo from what I can find online) is only a year old. Since she laid the eggs and the peahens I have in a different pen with no male haven't laid any I'm hoping this means they are fertile.

5 white frizzle cochin eggs- 2 of these were laid about 6 days before I got the incubator set up so I hope they are still good.

1 Egyptian Fayoumi egg- laid by a neighbors hen added a day later than the others due 5-16

Wish me luck! Hopefully they all hatch [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Does he have eye feathers? If not he may not be old enough to be fertile.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Males must be 2 yrs ols to be fertile. Hens are 3 (i think) See Peafowl section.

4. SunBaked

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Yay, the first frizzle is out and around!! I'm resisting the urge to open the incubator to take it out right away. I know it has to dry. Will the humidity for the other eggs be okay when I do take it out?

Glenmar, you were right and the pea eggs weren't fertile so I tossed them 2 weeks ago. I had to throw out 1 of the frizzle eggs also because my DH accidentally cracked it when we candled it the first time. I'm glued to the incubator waiting for the rest to hatch. So far I can see 1 pip.

5. SunBaked

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    OOhh another egg started to hatch. The poor little one that is already out looks so lonely in there [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by