First Try No Luck!

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
For the first time I tried to incubate some eggs. I didn't do any research and bought a "cheap" incubator. I put in 3 eggs and after 14 days and turning the eggs by hand, the eggs didn't show any life. So I researched so much my mind is about to explode. But I decided and purchased a better incubator (Magicfly Automatic Incubator). Also purchased a hygrometer. I have learned a lot the past couple of weeks. So back on the horse and try again. I will try to start my eggs on March 1st and see how it goes. Hopefully I have success this time because this is one thing on my "bucket list".

It's getting close to march 1st so I wanted to remind to keep us updated
Its good to let eggs sit for 24 hours on counter before incubating
No longer than 4 days on counter before you put into incubator and do not wash eggs because of bloom
If you already know all this than sorry just learning and passing info.
I'm on day 19 and will be doing more on March 1st so tell your girls to get shakin and layin
Screenshot_20180221-160605.png

It's getting close to march 1st so I wanted to remind to keep us updated
Its good to let eggs sit for 24 hours on counter before incubating
No longer than 4 days on counter before you put into incubator and do not wash eggs because of bloom
If you already know all this than sorry just learning and passing info.
I'm on day 19 and will be doing more on March 1st so tell your girls to get shakin and layin
View attachment 1272067
The hens are laying pretty good. Thanks for the advice. I did do all the things you mentioned. May have been a little early, plus hand turning was difficult because of time to do it inconsistency. I bought a different incubator with automatic turner. So we will give it another try in a few days.

If none developed at all it's likely they weren't fertile to begin with, so hopefully with spring around the corner for you, fertility will improve and you'll have more luck. :fl
All 3 eggs I thought were fertile but you could be right. Might have been a little early for my aging Rooster. But I got a new incubator, a new egg light that is appropriate to candle the eggs, plus a hygrometer, and a heap more of knowledge. So with all that we will try again in a few days. 7-9 eggs will be going in real soon around the end of the month.

I'm going to start a hatch along thread for March 1st I'll let you know once it's up
Ok cool thanks. I do have questions and concerns because I hope I am candling eggs correctly. Like how long do you wait and is it easy to tell an egg is fertile. I do believe my last eggs or at least one egg had started, but then it stopped. I just wasn't sure.

Back
Top Bottom