1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First try with chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by knucklebuster28, Mar 15, 2013.

1. knucklebuster28

knucklebuster28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our first attempt at raising chickens. Today I started building the coop. I just can't stand seeing things go to waste so here's what i'm using for lumber. It's pallets that our material comes on at work. These go to a dumpster when they are empty, free if we want em. This is how far I've gotten today. it'll be about 6'x6', plan on only 8 to 10 birds is that big enough? plan using the sand method, so I'll be lining the floor with some left over floor vinyl. Hope to have the roof on tomorrow before it rains.

2. [​IMG]

I see good memories happening already. [​IMG]

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Looks like a good start! Not sure how you are planning your roof but you could start a slant roof up under the exist building eave and slope out. Looks like fun. I love to build!

[​IMG]

4. knucklebuster28

Mar 13, 2013
    Got most of coop closed in and the roof on. We had some high winds on Saturday witch gave me the roost. A little more plywood, a door, nesting boxes, the metal siding, and some welded wire, the coop will be done. How do you like my ladder. One of the pallets I got to build the coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. knucklebuster28

Mar 13, 2013
    Started on the nesting boxes.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. knucklebuster28

Mar 13, 2013
    Well the chicks are in the brooder, but the coop not finished. The weather not cooperating here in Tenn. snow and rain sense Sat. . Have gotten the nesting boxes in and started putting on the metal siding. Need to build the doors and windows. Taking longer to build than I figured on, but getting there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rhoffart

rhoffart Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Looks great. I'm also building my first coop ... keep us updated[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by