First turkey eggs

jblegg83

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Easton, MD
I setup a dogloo in my 20x20 turkey run about two weeks ago. I noticed last week that the hen had been in there moving around the shredded leaves and pine needles that I put in there for bedding. I looked in yesterday and noticed that she has laid 5 eggs in the nest. She is still roosting up high at night, not setting on the nest. I am worried because the lows this weekend are supposed to be in the low 20's and I do not want the eggs to freeze. I could incubate them, but I was planning on letting the hen do that. Any suggestions on what I should do, if anything?

Morning! My hen also laid her first eggs recently (28 Feb).
I generally tend to let the first few eggs go (just pull them without incubating) so that any possible "winter kinks" or issues are out of the way (for all of the poultry species here). That may easily not be recommended or possible for you - or most - so just offering what I do! I will probably collect eggs for an incubation later this month and then see if she'll sit on her own nest a couple of weeks later when the weather freeze threat is lower.

I got my first turkey egg this morning.

Turkey eggs, and turkeys are a valuable commodity around here, so I am going to wait and see how many I get, I need to try a batch before I sell any as fertile eggs.

I just got my first turkey egg a few days ago!

If she's roosting then she's not broody. If they go broody they'll set on them at night too. This goes for all poultry species.
Ya see, unless the air is 99.5 and the right humidity then just letting eggs set out they ain't gonna hatch. The hen has to sit on them 24/7 until they hatch. (They will get up for a few minutes each day to eat, drink, poop, and maybe dust bathe before setting back down again)
Hope this helps and good luck with your eggs!

:)
Micah

Let me add that they usually lay a "clutch" before they sit and start to incubate. That is they lay several eggs over the course of several days, one per day and then they sit on them all. They won't sit til they are all laid.

I also have a pair of Bourbons - and I love them!
Hannah just started laying at the end of February for me. Today I found her keeping the clutch of Buff Orpington [chicken] eggs warm while the other gals took a break!

Back
Top Bottom