1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first turkey pip, but problem.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by matlock585, Mar 8, 2012.

1. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I set some turkey eggs with some chicks all the same day. When it came time to lock down the chicks i put the turks upright in paper egg cartons so they wouldn't be knocked around by the hatched out chickens. After i took the chicks out i opened both vents to reduce the humidity till it was time to lock them down. Last night they were due for lockdown. When i went over to the bator to add the water back in i immediately noticed a pip. My humidity was low...30%. I closed the vent and added the water with a syringe. This morning when i left for work it still looked the same. I just got home and checked again and it may be cracked a little bit more but no shell is gone yet.
    Do ya'll think i shrinkwrapped it? Should i just keep waiting? I'm fairly sure I could see it wiggle some earlier.

2. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    I would keep waiting...but just to clarify you know that turkey eggs take 28 days to hatch and chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch.

3. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I was expecting them to hatch day after tomorrow (the 10th). Vy

4. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    I would wait if nothing hatches by the 12th then more than likely they won't.

5. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I think it is ok. Just went and looked and it is poking at the pip hole now and has it's beak through the membrane. Thank you for responding to my post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by