First Turkeys-- Hen or Tom

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by absn2010, Nov 1, 2015.

1. absn2010

absn2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

As the thread says these are my first two turkeys ever. I did purchase a third chick but it died unexpectedly a month ago when we received our first bout of "bad" weather. They were purchased as day old chicks on 7-24 so they are just over 3 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the opportunity to purchase an adult tom/hen if these two aren't one of each so I thought I would ask those of you that are more experienced turkey keepers.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I believe that the first picture is of a tom and the lower picture is a hen. If you have the opportunity to purchase additional hens, I recommend that you do get more hens. I try to keep at least four to five hens per tom. It greatly reduces the wear and tear on the hens if there are more than one to keep the tom occupied. Since all of the hens don't tend to go broody at the same time it helps keep the tom occupied without bothering the hens that are sitting on nests.

Good luck.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm thinking they are both toms, I have a bourbon that I thought was a hen, but in the last couple of weeks it started getting darker feathers and it's tail has paddled out as well as it's snood has enlarge, it's around 4-5 months, they are finally starting to reveal their gender, yours both look similar to mine. You should know for sure in the next month or two.

4. cgbond

cgbond Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2015
    Texas
    They are beautiful. I Plan on getting bourbon red's in the spring.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2 -- It's hard to tell, but I think they are hen and tom as well. Keep an eye on the ''hen''s snood though, it seems a tad bit floppier than I would expect from a hen that age.

6. clairey

clairey New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Hi everyone, I also have a couple of bourbon reds that I'm hoping are make and female. Any guesses? One is def. Larger and darker[​IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by