First two baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilMissChick, Apr 13, 2019.

1. LilMissChick

LilMissChick Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    A78DD6E5-7EF9-48DC-8251-4DED7BBBCBA9.jpeg EE26B908-D993-4344-B7CF-FBAF2A2110E4.jpeg 1DA6FF61-055D-49EF-90EA-AAE6D543C41D.jpeg A78DD6E5-7EF9-48DC-8251-4DED7BBBCBA9.jpeg EE26B908-D993-4344-B7CF-FBAF2A2110E4.jpeg 7DBB8A96-687C-4260-AA60-C8755E8BD49C.jpeg well my new life as a chicken mama has officially begun!

I now am the proud parent of two faverolles chicks!

I have them in a smaller brooder until they are a few days older then they will be in the big one:)

But now I realize I’m already worrying over them lol.

Here is a few pictures. They are too funny, they zoom around for a few seconds, then just bam! Stretched out sleeping!

I gave them a little house to sleep in but they seem to just bush out wherever, near their water, in the middle of the brooder, etc.

One of them is a total talker! Just non stop little cheeping. Oddly the smaller of the two.

They are both easily handleable, they weren’t the biggest of the bunch, but they are lively.

I’m excited, it’s actually happening!

I’m just painting the large brooder so they will move in there when I am done, or maybe after a week:)

I apologize if there are multiples of the same pics. I’m not sure why but they seem to be doubling up.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Congrats! I get to do this later this month.

3. LilMissChick

LilMissChick Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    So exciting! What kind of chickens are you getting?

4. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Sometimes they cheep a lot if they are unhappy or not comfortable. Do you have a thermometer in your brooder? If so, is the temperature correct at about 95°?

5. LilMissChick

LilMissChick Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Yep,that’s what this little guy is sleeping on. I can’t seem to keep it at exactly 95. It sits at 96 or 94? 09FB896B-1405-4852-8B13-C82ADFA04CED.jpeg

6. LilMissChick

LilMissChick Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    @SurferchickinSB . Could she be a little upset because she’s just travelled 3000miles to get here and is settling in?

They have a bit of pasty butt that I’ve been dealing with as well, and keeping their vents clear, and I’ve been watching to make sure they are pooping. But could that be why as well?

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  7. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Yes, the stress of traveling, that can definitely cause pasty butt and differences in temperature if they get too cold. Congratulations on your two little ones! Sounds like you are keeping a good eye on them:) Sounds like you are keeping a good temperature for them, just make sure the box is big enough so they can also move away from the heat if they get too hot

8. LilMissChick

LilMissChick Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Will do! But any help and advice is very welcome. This is my first foray into having chickens so the last thing I want to do is make a mistake that harms them! I have a much larger brooder almost ready for them, and their four sisters that are on their way. So they will eventually go in there:)

I have read a lot, but that doesn’t really prepare you for real life experience! I’ve been down in my basement every 15 minutes checking the temps and their butts. I lowered their lamp one link (I have small 3/4”-1” links on the chain for my heat lamp) after you mentioned the temperature, and there is less cheeping now. So maybe the ambient temperature was too low except right under the lamp?

I’m not sure I’ll be able to really sleep tonight from fear of these little guys not being lively in the morning!

9. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    You sound like you are doing everything correctly and this site has a great learning center! Remember that baby chicks are very delicate and not all of them make it and it will not be your fault, that is just something that happens sometimes because the travel Is really hard on them.I hope you get to enjoy your little flock for many years, sounds like you will take really good care of them!

10. lutherpug

lutherpug Songster

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City Area
    The temp doesn't have to be exactly 95. I can rarely get mine above 90-92 under the heat plate I use and I've never had a problem. I definitely wouldn't worry about 95 vs 94. More importantly, make sure they have a place to get warm and a place to get away from the warmth and they'll do what they need to do to keep themselves comfy. If they're running around content as opposed to huddled together or cheeping non stop, they're likely just fine.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Stay on top of the pasty butt! Congrats on your babies. I just got my first salmon favorelles rooster and am super excited about the breed as well
    :yesss:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: