First two eggs!!!! But I don't know if they were yesterday's or today's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taunya1979, Jul 8, 2016.

1. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

First Easter Eggers eggs! Now my Delima there are two I do have two Easter Eggers but only one had been squatting the last few days. How long are they good in the florida sun they were both together under my banana tree (they have perfectly good nests not sure why she chose there lol) please help I'd rather not throw them away. And do chickens lay more than one a day.

2. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I think it's absolutely fine to eat them! I heard that you don't have to refrigerate eggs for even as long as a week before refrigerating them. If you crack them open and see anything suspicous you could just compost it because when in doubt throw it out!

And to answer your other question, yes but only with some certain breeds. I have a speckled Sussex that lays eggs every 23 hours. but I don't think that your easter eggers would lay two eggs in one day. (But that would be amazing!)

I love chickens that lay colorful eggs!

1 person likes this.
  3. ErinFchick

ErinFchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    NW Georgia
    You can for sure eat them. I eat yesterday's eggs all the time. I also don't refrigerate them.

(for fun look at my post, I just found 27 eggs from my one EE that I had missed the spot she was laying. I won't be eating eggs that were outdoors for a month, but sheesh!)

Do you have small hands or are those eggs huge? I feel like they look enormous. They are beautiful! I hope they are yummy. (the eggs... the beautiful thing was the eggs too. now I sound like a creeper.)

4. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    Guess my hands are normal sized lol so I can definitely eat then if they've been outside since yesterday?? I don't want to pitch them. Florida heat is killer. I just worried bc they were in the sun.
    N no worries lol I knew what you meant :)

5. ErinFchick

Mar 1, 2015
    NW Georgia
    I'd for sure eat them. But if they look or seem weird when you crack them don't.

6. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    They are dirty from the sand under the banana tree. I don't usually wash them until I am ready to eat them also do you soak yours? If so what do you use. We always just washed them growing up but I have heard ppl do a good soak

7. ErinFchick

Mar 1, 2015
    NW Georgia
    I don't wash. If there is any solid debris I sorta pick it off. I've never gotten one really gross. I don't wash or refrigerate. At all.

I am so loath to loose all those ones I found today I think I'm going to do the float/sink test. If they do sink I think I'm gonna eat them.

I know it all sounds gross, but if you really look into how grocery store food is handled... it just LOOKS pretty and clean. It's old and has been hot and cold over and over. We have this sense that we need to eat really sparkling clean food, but I don't buy into that.

8. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    Oh in Europe nothing is refrigerated that we do here lol but then again they do all fresh stuff daily. So I just found another egg in the next this time. And my other Easter Eggers comb is bright red today. So one chicken can't possibly lay 3 eggs in two days can they? Growing up we had like 60 chickens at a time so we never knew who layed what lol

9. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Wild hens lay eggs over the course of 8-15 days until they set them. If these hatch into healthy eggs, then ones that sit in the best for a week are surely still fit to cook and eat.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by